Security Installer Community

Dm Sprite 2 Problem With Storage Area

Alex

Hi there,

I have a problem with a DM Sprite 2 (old version). When I first had the unit everything was OK. I just had to downpower the unit, which I did via menu ->shutdown -> press camera 1. So far so good. When I powered the unit back up again it came up with a message saying something along the lines of "unable to open storage area, creating new storage area, do not turn the unit off until completed". I was devastated at this point to say the least. Never had this problem before. My worst fears came true, everything seems to be gone. I restarted the unit today and it started recording and now I have only what I recorded today and everything else seems to be gone. Is there any way of getting hold of what the unit recorded before? Its about 1 months worth of recording? Could that be stored in a separate file (storage area). I can

cheers,

Alex

Hi there,

I have a problem with a DM Sprite 2 (old version). When I first had the unit everything was OK. I just had to downpower the unit, which I did via menu ->shutdown -> press camera 1. So far so good. When I powered the unit back up again it came up with a message saying something along the lines of "unable to open storage area, creating new storage area, do not turn the unit off until completed". I was devastated at this point to say the least. Never had this problem before. My worst fears came true, everything seems to be gone. I restarted the unit today and it started recording and now I have only what I recorded today and everything else seems to be gone. Is there any way of getting hold of what the unit recorded before? Its about 1 months worth of recording? Could that be stored in a separate file (storage area). I can

Hi Alex

I would leave the unit powered down until you speak direct to DM technical support ASAP Tel: 0845 600 9502

I would suspect that the file system was corrupt on bootup and has rewritten the the allocation table. The images will probably still be on the disk only the reference lost. DM may be able to rebuild the original allocation table, but they would need to unit back to them.

Ask for Lee, Dave or Ian in DM Tech support if you dont know whom to talk to.

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

Thanks for your help. I just had another thought. I noticed when I first saw the unit that the camera image on the monitor was distorted and it might be that a few more cameras had the same problem. Due to lack of time I unfortunally didn

cheers,

Alex

Thanks for your help. I just had another thought. I noticed when I first saw the unit that the camera image on the monitor was distorted and it might be that a few more cameras had the same problem. Due to lack of time I unfortunally didn

what about a computer-geek, what i meen is Do you know anybody who's got above the average pc knowHow,your sprites hdd has probably got low level sector problems and thats why its giving you a headake, BUT any file can be recovered even if reformated-it still can be recovered-infact all your files your wanting to keep will still be there in perfect order :yes: inside your superb sprite will be a IDE hdd and i bet its MaXtor, dissconect it and take it out of the sprite and take it to a pc geek, he will be able to save your files, (now) he might not be able to view the files because your sprite will have its own codec's, but when you put the disk into your sprite (the cd that he has save for you-with your files on) it will work perfectly. FIND YOUR SELF A PC GEEK :rolleyes:

go to ccl and buy this

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?id=16124

install it in your sprite, and turn the strite on, it will self format and your running again. :)

I KNOW-I KNOW-I KNOW, before all you guys jump on me that computer hard drives arnt the same as dvr drives :fear:

:realmad:THE DIFFERANCE IS THE BEARING IN THE HDD'S MOTOR :realmad:

DVR hdd's run 24/7.............the fatcat Manufactures love this kind-of-thing (GET-IT)

get that drive from ccl mate you'll be fine

im not a gambler BUT would bet you a cup of coffee (lol) that it would last at least 3 years with no problems where-as your dvr hdd's might last 5 years---AT WHAT COST

guys just think back to the days of multiplexers/timeLapsed/VHS-tapes how long did they last................3 years if your very lucky

only trying to help

best regards

joe

Alex

Forget the stuff ICEBear said, he doesnt have a clue whats hes talking about, for the following reasons!

quote "what i meen is Do you know anybody who's got above the average pc knowHow"

1. The sprite is not a pc and does not look like a pc!

quote "your sprites hdd has probably got low level sector problems and thats why its giving you a headake"

2. Possible, but the manufacturers are best to speak to.

quote "any file can be recovered even if reformated-it still can be recovered-infact all your files your wanting to keep will still be there in perfect order yes."

3. The formatting statement is assuming that the file system is formatted the same way a pc is ie. FAT16, FAT32, NTFS! The sprite does not use a standard file system. This unit has been designed to meet stringent security specifications so that its contents will not be compromised if the hard disk is taken out and placed inside a pc. The sprites file system can only be read by readers provided by Dedicated Microcomputers.

quote "IDE hdd and i bet its MaXtor"

4. Again an assumption. DM Unicord, DVST, Sprites used to use SCSI interfaces, so unless you have a SCSI controller inside your PC, don't attempt it.

quote "dissconect it and take it out of the sprite"

5. As soon as the lid is off, your warranty is void.

quote "and take it to a pc geek, "

6. Whats the computer geek going to charge you when he cant read the contents!

quote "he will be able to save your files, (now) he might not be able to view the files because your sprite will have its own codec's, but when you put the disk into your sprite (the cd that he has save for you-with your files on) it will work perfectly. "

7. If the pc geek cannot read the hard disk contents due to a non-standard file system, how is he going to save your files to cd. How will he know which images are needed. Lets say you that he is able to read the contents, see the images needed. A basic 40GB hard disk will need approx 57 cd's to save the information on. If a cd takes 10 minutes to burn thats 9.5 hours. Remember its an old sprite so probably only have an 8 speed burner inside.

He may wish to use mirroring software but this relies on the file systems being the same or similar. Police forces have had similar situations where the mirrored disk has lost images through not knowing where the references are.

quote "go to ccl and buy this

install it in your sprite, and turn the strite on, it will self format and your running again."

8. ICEBear wants you to spend approx

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

Alex

Forget the stuff ICEBear said, he doesnt have a clue whats hes talking about, for the following reasons!

quote "what i meen is Do you know anybody who's got above the average pc knowHow"

1. The sprite is not a pc and does not look like a pc!

quote "your sprites hdd has probably got low level sector problems and thats why its giving you a headake"

2. Possible, but the manufacturers are best to speak to.

quote "any file can be recovered even if reformated-it still can be recovered-infact all your files your wanting to keep will still be there in perfect order yes."

3. The formatting statement is assuming that the file system is formatted the same way a pc is ie. FAT16, FAT32, NTFS! The sprite does not use a standard file system. This unit has been designed to meet stringent security specifications so that its contents will not be compromised if the hard disk is taken out and placed inside a pc. The sprites file system can only be read by readers provided by Dedicated Microcomputers.

quote "IDE hdd and i bet its MaXtor"

4. Again an assumption. DM Unicord, DVST, Sprites used to use SCSI interfaces, so unless you have a SCSI controller inside your PC, don't attempt it.

quote "dissconect it and take it out of the sprite"

5. As soon as the lid is off, your warranty is void.

quote "and take it to a pc geek, "

6. Whats the computer geek going to charge you when he cant read the contents!

quote "he will be able to save your files, (now) he might not be able to view the files because your sprite will have its own codec's, but when you put the disk into your sprite (the cd that he has save for you-with your files on) it will work perfectly. "

7. If the pc geek cannot read the hard disk contents due to a non-standard file system, how is he going to save your files to cd. How will he know which images are needed. Lets say you that he is able to read the contents, see the images needed. A basic 40GB hard disk will need approx 57 cd's to save the information on. If a cd takes 10 minutes to burn thats 9.5 hours. Remember its an old sprite so probably only have an 8 speed burner inside.

He may wish to use mirroring software but this relies on the file systems being the same or similar. Police forces have had similar situations where the mirrored disk has lost images through not knowing where the references are.

quote "go to ccl and buy this

install it in your sprite, and turn the strite on, it will self format and your running again."

8. ICEBear wants you to spend approx

Archived