Security Installer Community

Help Setting Up!

Bri2k

Hello everyone, I'm thinking about going self employed in the next year or so and havn't got a clue where to start. I have read a few posts and there is some good info but I still need help on things like; grants, how to price a job, paperwork, advertising etc etc. Any info will be valuable. Thanks Guys.

how long have you being in the job, and where do your talents lye...

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

I've been in the job for 6 years and have worked some big jobs by myself on intruder (Galaxy-commercial, Eurosec-domestic), Access systems (Videx, Crosspoint, paxton, max3), CCTV (teleeye, DM, Dynacolor DVRs all type of cameras from vantage to ultrak domes.). Ive also done some small work on Loudspeaker systems. I have a Modern Apprenticship NVQ level 3 in security systems. I know I have what its takes (workwise) to go self employed but not bussiness wise. Whats the best way to start out? I know I could do the work, its just getting the work, Would you say there is plenty of work out there for a new small bussiness or will subby work be the best shot? Thanks.

if you remain interested in my post, i can give you some pointers.

its not easy. you go from having a safe weekly income to using your skills to find the next job.

you have to wear many hats. explore and look for new work. talk and convince the customer you are the one...

decide your market eg domestic, industrial etc..... fire .....intruder......cctv or would you like to do all ( much more difficult)

you are only as good as your last job.

advertising is difficult and can be costly. think about it....customers are your best source of advertising, look after them.....

i stay with one manufacturer, two panels,,, starting 2x and prefer grade 2......... only work in the domestic market......

good house keeping is very important, a little time spent on books after every jobs save you hours later on..

important to do your homework before you take the plunge, know your competitors. i have 5 one man bands in my town as well as three big nationals, three of which fit the same gear as me.

one guy will put in a full alarm for 180... :rolleyes:

i could go on, and other may have different views, good luck..... :)

get yourself a big diary and a good laptop plus good van

finally, there is nowhere to hide, when you are the boss,,,the buck begins at your doorstep and its only as you grow are you able to pass it on.......

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

the advice so far has been very sound imo,

there is no cast iron way to proceed in every aspect of going it alone, so like playing rugby be prepared to give a little 'blood' for the game while learning your new position and make mistakes.

i'd suggest to use a unit costing placed into a spread sheet, have a set price for a basic pir, door contact etc installed, do the same for the panels you will use. it's a 'swings and round-a-boiuts method, so you will lose say on the landing but make it on the hall pir.

add a 'difficulty' column to allow for that tricky pir in the flat roofed extension, this will be a great aid as we all get the calls that want every window and door covered, spend 3 hours discussing their system design, finallythey get the price of 5.5k on a 2 up 3 down and er if we only protect .....?

but well before all of the above, discuss with your life partner and get them on board with the risks, find a decent accountant, tell you bank manager about your change of circumstances, those 3 persons alone can either aid your success in business, or cripple you in no time at all.

inform the taxman within 3 months and never ever consider or treat them them as stupid - you will HAVE to pay your taxes.

paperwork is done without screwdrivers or drill, so is as boring as hell in a heatwave (after the initial novelty) and often done @ 3am after working 18 hours for the last 5 days and your eye's just want to leave your skull.

i don't want to put you off, being self employed imo just nothing matches it, but there is no holiday pay, no redundancy. no sick pay and the buck stops with you 24/7. work always comes in all at once - or non at all for months your temperment will be tested in both situations. but if your like me in any way, having the overall choice of who i care work for, over being ordered to work for people i don't like that's a great feeling even if i rarely exercise it.

best advice i can give you is regarding 'cash flow'. always get a deposit that covers the goods even of your dear old mum, don't be timid or 'polite' in order not to offend (your not a money lending institution) then if your welshed on at least you can pay your suppliers - even if you don't eat :P .

good luck

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thanks guys you are really helping me, its nice to know there is support out there. Thinking about going to businesslink and asking for a grant to get me started and getting some business cards printed. What about paperwork, ie specs, t&c's, H&S, Risk assessments?

business link, very very good starting point, put me in touch with all sorts of the correct people and their advise is spot on.... i started here, spent 1175 pound on gear they gave me back 1000....

first bought a big cordless drill....dewalt

second, pair of ladders.

third a decent multimeter

a thirty quid pair of side cutter, from sweden, still cut paper after year and a half, before i put them across mains,, took a chunk out of them. saved my life ..... never buy cheap tools, never buy cheap anythiong if you are going to rely on them....

had a pal who i did some work for, print some paperwork for me...good to have mates, but be careful you still have to make a living....

What software would you reccommend for printing letterheads, specs, invoices etc?. Also, what would you say is the best way to keep track of everything, ie, customers, payments etc. I was thinking spreadsheets on excel. I would also obviously keep paper copys of jobs as well for when/if i decided I decide to go SSAIB(first). I work for NACOSS gold company at the mo and the specs are full or useless information like environmental class of PIR's etc, is this required?

Guest anguscanplay
I work for NACOSS gold company at the mo and the specs are full or useless information like environmental class of PIR's etc, is this required?

yep

What software would you reccommend for printing letterheads, specs, invoices etc?. Also, what would you say is the best way to keep track of everything, ie, customers, payments etc. I was thinking spreadsheets on excel. I would also obviously keep paper copys of jobs as well for when/if i decided I decide to go SSAIB(first). I work for NACOSS gold company at the mo and the specs are full or useless information like environmental class of PIR's etc, is this required?

i'm not registered with either organisation,

i use intuits quickbooks pro for my accounts, payrol, stock ordering and esitmating and producing my VAT return.

i use WORD to produce headed paper online from my printer as required, just faf about with headings until you are happy.

there is 'bespoke' alarm orientated software out there, but from what i have seen of it your best to 'try before you buy' before you stump up any cash is my advice.

excel is fine as long as you extremely competent with programming it, but trust me, it will become very very laborious against using a 'proper' package.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived