Security Installer Community

Dvr Box To Internet

bobwells

Got my first dvr box (avtech avc782) and want to connect it to the internet with a static address but the instructions are woeful - especially if you don't know much about networking.

Do I need a modem router? can it be set up without a PC.

A basic idea of what's needed would be really helpful . . . . .

Thanks

Bob

Got my first dvr box (avtech avc782) and want to connect it to the internet with a static address but the instructions are woeful - especially if you don't know much about networking.

Do I need a modem router? can it be set up without a PC.

A basic idea of what's needed would be really helpful . . . . .

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

Have a quick read through the article on IP Signalling by clicking on the link at the top of the page. It covers the basics. I have written part 2 and sent it to the forum owner Dave, who will hopefully add it soon.

In a nutshell..... you will need a modem for your connection to the internet, a router to allow multiple IP devices to share the one internet connection and then you will need to put port forwarding in place so that the router knows which information should be sent to/from your DVR.

Hope this helps.

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

also if you google 'port forwarding' also known as 'port triggering' you will get pages and pages on the subject, rattling on about DMZ's and so on ----yawn!!!!

so keep the box of match sticks handy ;)

you will need a pc hooked up to alter the routers settings, some DVR makers like System Q and LJD offer a router ready configured to save you most of the hassle for a few quids more on the buying price.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

the "De Militarised Zones " or the DMZ port as its know is unprotected by any firewall in the router. so to cut along story short you set the ip of the dvr in the dmz settings and you dont need to worry about unblocking the ip in the firewall settings. ps dont setup a pcs ip in the dmz or you are asking for trouble.

ATB

Pete

Archived