Security Installer Community

Active Ir Beams

Rong

I am looking at installing an Optex IR beam. I need to cover a range of about 21 metres. I suspect the AX100Plus would be the correct choice but the AX200plus is substantially less expensive. Would I be creating potential problems by using the AX200Plus which has a greater range than the AX100Plus?

cheers

make sure you walk test the detectors carefully as you may get reflections off surrounding objects such as glass / cars etc that may reduce the sensitivity

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

make sure you walk test the detectors carefully as you may get reflections off surrounding objects such as glass / cars etc that may reduce the sensitivity

TSS, Interesting. My initial worry was if the beam was stronger on the 200 then it may be more susceptable to reflections. It will run parallel with 5mtr patio doors approximately 500mm away. I will have to fit a hood in any case as the early morning sun could be a problem. It is the back of the house so no traffic. There will be PIR floodlights but I do not expect these to be too difficult as the front house beams have been in use for over ten years with adjacent PIR lighting. The front beam is actually two Radio Spares beams in series 150mm apart. A single beam gave the occasional FA. Hopefully the Optex being more recent technology and twin beam internally will only need a single unit. I was thinking of fitting the Tx at the Patio door end of the run so reflections are less likely to reach the Rx which is more sheltered.

must you use beams?

have alooke at gardtec external 'watch outs', the wired versions are dual, dual tec's ie to pirs and 2 mwd's, ignore animals and pets and swaying bushes/washing etc. built in eol resistors and more adjustment than you can shake a stick at.

they also do a radio version which is pir only, both go 25 meter's and come with long range lens in the box

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

must you use beams?

have alooke at gardtec external 'watch outs', the wired versions are dual, dual tec's ie to pirs and 2 mwd's, ignore animals and pets and swaying bushes/washing etc. built in eol resistors and more adjustment than you can shake a stick at.

they also do a radio version which is pir only, both go 25 meter's and come with long range lens in the box

regs

alan

Alan, very interesting thanks. I was worried about swaying bushes. The guardtec Dt would mean the wiring is a lot simpler and positioning too. It may also be worth changing the front beams to a DT. I will look into those tomorrow.

Alan, I have gone for the beams. After reading the info on the Watchouts I could not get the positioning ideal due to lots of Glass, Sunset, and proximity of trees and bushes whereas the beams are easy to position just harder to wire up. When it is time to replace my front beams I think the Watchouts will be a better bet. Many thanks.

Alan, I have gone for the beams. After reading the info on the Watchouts I could not get the positioning ideal due to lots of Glass, Sunset, and proximity of trees and bushes whereas the beams are easy to position just harder to wire up. When it is time to replace my front beams I think the Watchouts will be a better bet. Many thanks.

hi Rong,

the mwd element is not affected by sunlight or reflections, the pir's have white light masking and the unit's electronics ignore swaying bushes, tree's, domestic animals and wildlife like foxes, cats, birds and badgers.

your choice by all means, but try one lets face it if it is no good you can use it on the front :)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

hi Rong,

the mwd element is not affected by sunlight or reflections, the pir's have white light masking and the unit's electronics ignore swaying bushes, tree's, domestic animals and wildlife like foxes, cats, birds and badgers.

your choice by all means, but try one lets face it if it is no good you can use it on the front :)

regs

alan

Hi Alan, In the info I read it said it needed 5M distance from bushes etc. At the rear I cannot achieve this and get the coverage I would like. I am due to go away for a while soon and am unable to test the Watchout in all conditions for adjustment. I still like the idea though and may get one when I get back. As you say it will be useful at the front and if it works out OK I can move the rear beams further down the garden.

cheers

Ron

Archived