Security Installer Community

Door Contacts

Alarm Co

looking for door contacts to fit aluminium doors on domestic install

need to hide or make it as less obvious as possible

can any one advise

can you get the header trim off? if so (and the metal is aluminum) you can mount a standard surface contact behind it and the magnet in the trough at the top of the door.

if not drill a 20mm hole either in to the header or frame upright with a stepped cone cutter and use the normal quick-fit contacts, both the above won't conform to G3 spec though so be careful.

(i just thought i'd get that bit in before i got flamed ;) ).

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
if not drill a 20mm hole either in to the header or frame upright with a stepped cone cutter and use the normal quick-fit contacts, both the above won't conform to G3 spec though so be careful.

(i just thought i'd get that bit in before i got flamed ;) ).

regs

alan

or grade two but never mind

how did i know angus was gona follow you lol

it would be a new build site so will go in fist fix it

then go in a couple of weeks later (when the plaster's have hidden the cables)

and try and do second fix on the doors

dont know if it would be worth trying to visit site when doors and frames are being fitted

also have the prob of if i drill a 20mil hole , is this going to affect the warrenty on the door, not a question i should be asking you guys but im sure you know where im coming from

how did i know angus was gona follow you lol

it would be a new build site so will go in fist fix it

then go in a couple of weeks later (when the plaster's have hidden the cables)

and try and do second fix on the doors

dont know if it would be worth trying to visit site when doors and frames are being fitted

also have the prob of if i drill a 20mil hole , is this going to affect the warrenty on the door, not a question i should be asking you guys but im sure you know where im coming from

as with anything in the 'grey' area, get permission (or veriation) in writing to cover you ass.

Angus is right about G2, but then are these systems graded in the 1st place? my experience it would be rare requirement on builder multi-installs, all they usually want is a frilly selling point to stick in the brochure.

the basic survival rule of any contractual site work is make damn sure any 'mistakes' were by permission or deed of another if you want to survive. so best you have a word with them to advise your professional concerns, then if they don't want graded and put it in writing your conscience is clear in both the liability and duty of care sense.

regards drilling the door frames, in my experience only the Everest engineers have ever kicked up due to their triple insulation frames, but again get it in writing before you get your drill bits out.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
Angus is right about G2, but then are these systems graded in the 1st place? my experience it would be rare requirement on builder multi-installs, all they usually want is a frilly selling point to stick in the brochure.

regs

alan

me again LOL

dont listen to him G2X is the minimum standard for a "pro fit " alarm system, anything less is DIY

looking for door contacts to fit aluminium doors on domestic install

need to hide or make it as less obvious as possible

can any one advise

We sometimes used to glue a cut bit of wood to the top of the door if it's the type with a channel on top with the magnet flushed into it. On the frame just fit a flush contact or if it's brushed/polished aluminium you can get a stainless flush contact. It won't be G3 though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Guest anguscanplay
We sometimes used to glue a cut bit of wood to the top of the door if it's the type with a channel on top with the magnet flushed into it. On the frame just fit a flush contact or if it's brushed/polished aluminium you can get a stainless flush contact. It won't be G3 though.

hard to make that G2 with some panels too, but dont bother with the cutting of wood (turn the magnet over)

hard to make that G2 with some panels too, but dont bother with the cutting of wood (turn the magnet over)

Yeah I have seen magnets stuck in on their own but flushing them into a bit of wood means you can cut the magnet down to about 5mm thick and be sure it stays there. What's the problem making it G2? :huh:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Yeah I have seen magnets stuck in on their own

Going back to my infamous "new back door" thread (maybe best not to TBH) I ended up with a "naked" heavy duty magnet "glued" in the channel on top of the door (it was a tight fit anyway so wasn't going to move) and painted white to match.

Did the job, but then it's a DIY install so not "graded". ;)

Archived