Security Installer Community

The Big 3 ?

The UK's leading domestic security alarm firms are ADT, Chubb and (a recent entrant) British Gas.  Each provides a monitored alarm service, as well as an installation service.  ADT is owned by Tyco International, easily the world's largest security services company, whilst Chubb is owned by Williams plc, the world's second largest security services company.  Both ADT and Chubb operate worldwide.  The British Gas Home Security arm is a part of Centrica (British Gas's parent company, also owns the AA and the Goldfish credit card brand), and operates primarily in the UK.

:?: Are British Gas really the UK`s 3rd largest security firm.

Perhaps I`m walking round with my eyes shut, but I dont see many British Gas Bellboxes. :)

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest engineer

:) Just to bring you up to date, Chubb were demerged for Williams Plc back in 2000, and are at present in negositaions :fight: with UTC who want to take over Chubb. That ends the lesson for today..

Also have you seen the BT panel :cry: was working on 433Mz but moved upto 748mz the box design isn't that great and on the mark 1 there were 2 3" twiggs on the top of the box :?:

Guest aplex

SECOM is the third largest Security company in the world according to the FT with branches in UK, Australia, US and japan where the head office is located, As far as I am aware they are one of the largest companys in japan.

I thought Initial were 2nd in UK? And i've seen loads of british gas bell boxes up here in Manchester, Norweb ones too.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

When discussing largest are we talking finance or numbers, does your list include guarding companies? I think Group/4 Securitas may have a claim to being a world leader. There are also some large organizations who do not trade in the UK such as Siemans, there is also Secom the largest Japanese company. In the UK Initial (Shorrock) for one would give British Gas a run for their money.

Chubb has not been owned by Williams for some time, until very recently it was a quoted plc on the London Stock Exchange but is now in the process of being taken over by US firm United Technologies Corporation. UTC, one of the world's 50 biggest companies. UTC is best known in Britain for Otis lifts, Pratt & Whitney aero engines and Sikorsky helicopters.

it does say largest domestic that was a side of things shorrock initial never went after so it could be true //.National Installer.// have had this hit towards domestics and moden alarms where renowed for it chubb have also gone down the road of bying companes and have got contacts from them :?:

Archived