Security Installer Community

Help! Alarm Going Off After Power Cut And Can't Turn It Off!

sally1234

Hi, we have a Gardtec 370 and had a powercut last week. After the powercut the alarm didn't work, the control panel is not lit up at all (whole thing seems dead). I didn't get around to calling an engineer out and tonight we had another powercut.

About 1 hour into the second powercut the alarm started going off internally and then externally, although the external alarm seems to have now stopped!

I don't have a maintenance contract with the alarm and have a new born baby in the house so need to get this noise turned off as soon as possible.

In desperation I tried googling from which I found this forum. Is anybody able to offer me some advice?

Thanks, in advance, Sally!

Sally you would have to start opening panels and disconnecting batteries ... and then you will get a problem when the mains comes back on so it is not advisable.

You would be better biting the bullet and calling a local engineer from the yellow pages to come and safely disconnect the system for you.

Sally you would have to start opening panels and disconnecting batteries ... and then you will get a problem when the mains comes back on so it is not advisable.

You would be better biting the bullet and calling a local engineer from the yellow pages to come and safely disconnect the system for you.

Hi, thanks for your reply!!!!!

The mains has been back on for over an hour and the alarm is still going off.

I am happy to call an enginner out tomorrow (it needs servicing anyway) but I would just like to turn this noise off for now, is there any way that is possible?

And over to the security boys.........

Have you tried putting your code in and resetting the system??

The panel is probably making a noise because the battery has discharged.... but if you've had no lights on the panel for a week there could be a more serious problem.......

Yes, I tried putting the code in with no joy. I tried to reset it after the last powercut but it was just totally dead (no noise going off though). We have a scheduled powercut in the next few days so I held off getting somebody out until after that.

It is tonights powercut that has caused the problems. The alarm was serviced about 18 months ago if that helps, the battery was replaced then.

Any other ideas for getting rid of the noise tonight?

Also, is anybody interested in coming out tomorrow? We are in the Northant area, NN6.

Guest anguscanplay
Hi, thanks for your reply!!!!!

The mains has been back on for over an hour and the alarm is still going off.

I am happy to call an enginner out tomorrow (it needs servicing anyway) but I would just like to turn this noise off for now, is there any way that is possible?

it needs an engineer, surely you didnt really expect to find out how to disable an alarm?

it needs an engineer, surely you didnt really expect to find out how to disable an alarm?

Hi, I didn't expect to find out how to disable an alarm on a forum tonight.

I was hoping to get a temporary solution, maybe some advice to turn the noise off if it is possible. I have absolutely no idea about how to operate alarms.

Are you saying it is not possible at all to turn the noise off? If that's the case, thanks, I appreciate the information.

Looks like I have no alternative but to let my newborn baby's screams compete with the alarm noise throughout the night and I'll let my fingers do the walking in the morning.

I will keep viewing this thread though just in case anything more constructive does come along in the meantime.

Sally

Guest anguscanplay
Hi, I didn't expect to find out how to disable an alarm on a forum tonight.

I was hoping to get a temporary solution, maybe some advice to turn the noise off if it is possible. I have absolutely no idea about how to operate alarms.

Are you saying it is not possible at all to turn the noise off? If that's the case, thanks, I appreciate the information.

Looks like I have no alternative but to let my newborn baby's screams compete with the alarm noise throughout the night and I'll let my fingers do the walking in the morning.

I will keep viewing this thread though just in case anything more constructive does come along in the meantime.

Sally

Sally your going about this all wrong, you should get an engineer tonight - it`ll cost about the same as what you saved not having it serviced thats all

the info you require is the same info I get asked for weekly by the idiot who works in the factory / shop / office and wants to get even with his boss

Correct. At least not safely if it won't take your code. You really do need a qualified engineer to do that who knows how to do it safely. Your baby wouldn't want it's mother dead from electric shock or falling off a ladder.

If there is a mains power switch (e.g. fused switched spur) for the alarm you could try turning that off. Any internal batteies will eventually run down, though it may take several hours. :(

If the external siren/bell is still going it SHOULD turn off after 20 minutes, but again if there's a fault you may have to wait hours until it's batteries expire.

Not good news, but it's the truth.

And just to add insult to injury, if someone complains to the council they may send someone round to do it and give you a large bill for doing so - noise nuisance. :ninja:

Alarms are designed to be very difficult to disable, for obvious reasons. Which is why they should be properly maintained or fully decommissioned.

Archived