Security Installer Community

Galaxy Printer Interface !

Gees

I have recently aquired a printer interface for my alarm panel ( gala 18 )

However There doesn't seem to be any way of telling the panel that its there..

Its on the s1 connector and the RS485 light is on solid. The 232 light is flashing!

There are only 3 wire connected to the floating 25way "d" plug. Earth, data out and DTR (20 )

The printer is set to 1200,8,n as per the engineering manual but if I try to print anything I get the offline message.

The printer I am using is a Lexmark optra S1650 and has both serial and parallell ports active..

I am running a pin for pin extension abt 12 feet long...

What am I missing???

:'(

I have recently aquired a printer interface for my alarm panel ( gala 18 )

However There doesn't seem to be any way of telling the panel that its there..

Its on the s1 connector and the RS485 light is on solid. The 232 light is flashing!

There are only 3 wire connected to the floating 25way "d" plug. Earth, data out and DTR (20 )

The printer is set to 1200,8,n as per the engineering manual but if I try to print anything I get the offline message.

The printer I am using is a Lexmark optra S1650 and has both serial and parallell ports active..

I am running a pin for pin extension abt 12 feet long...

What am I missing???

:'(

I used to have great fun making printers work off of old DOS software.

Is it a newer printer that requires a PC running it's software driver or an old one that has a built in character set that responds to an ASCII dump? You may have more luck using Hyperterminal under windows and capturing the dump then print it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

You will need to prgram the buad rate etc in engineer mode.

You also need to be able to set the same up on the printer, we used an old epsom printer with dip swithches on to set it up.

The last one i set up was a utter B****ard to get working.

When exiting from engineer mode there is a change in the modules attached (was 2 now 3)

so the panel knows its there... but as I said I get the "printer offline" message every time.

I may have to find a simpler printer.?

Baud rate not adjustable in eng mode but is set to 1200 ,8 ,n as per manual

I knew it had to be something simple.... Stupid printer wasn't sending a DTR to the interface.

I connected an Epson tmu950 EPOS printer and hey presto.. All works !!

Somewhere I've got an old RS232 breakout box for testing/patching/setting all those signals.

Mind you in many cases a paper clip usually did the trick :whistle:

You often find that some devices use x-on/x-off which makes life difficult and can be looking for DSR too. And devices like lasers of course often need a page throw of some sort to force a print out, otherwise it just gets buffered internally.

Archived