Security Installer Community

In Your Professional Oppinion ......

IM_Alarms

Hi guys,

I'm more used to small commercial installations and HMO's, but I am trying to decide which panel to fit in a large domestic house (mansion). It is in a rural location and consists of 5 /6 bedrooms, 2 or 3 reception rooms, kitchen, utility, snooker room, swimming pool etc (like we all have ..... ;-(......)

I have had the electrical run in the cabling for a loop system originally and now that I am trying to design the system fully, I wondered whether an analogue addressable system or whether it would be easier (cheaper) to use a 2-wire system?

Also what suggestion on panel makes etc.

I will need to have sounder bases in bedrooms.

Thanks in advance chaps ;-)

Guest Dave the alarm man
I have had the electrical run in the cabling for a loop system originally and now that I am trying to design the system fully,

:hmm: the only thing that need a loop is analogue

I wondered whether an analogue addressable system or whether it would be easier (cheaper) to use a 2-wire system?

depends on size, building type....

1st choose protocol ;)

cheers for replying so promptly.

To give you some idea of size, there are 21No smoke and heat detectors required, then 5No sounder bases for the bedrooms and 3No sounders to cover the other areas.

The wiring has been looped per floor back to the panel position. This would allow the creation of a large loop for an analogue addressible system or the possibility of using the cabling as a two-wire system.

What would you do?

cheers

cheers for replying so promptly.

To give you some idea of size, there are 21No smoke and heat detectors required, then 5No sounder bases for the bedrooms and 3No sounders to cover the other areas.

The wiring has been looped per floor back to the panel position. This would allow the creation of a large loop for an analogue addressible system or the possibility of using the cabling as a two-wire system.

What would you do?

cheers

tbh your asking for an engineer to effectively design your system and without even seeing the layout or considering the usage within the building, even having found an engineer to provide such info, who would be liable if things did not work?

not being rude here just a little pragmatic, if this obviously 'tasty' install is simply out of your league, why not pass it on to a bigger company and settle for a commission?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I was just asking for an opinion on which panel/ system people would consider if it were their system. I'm hardly asking for a complete specification.

I am reasonably adept with conventional systems but have only used analogue addressable for other companies and they were large systems. This is where the difficulty is, in deciding which would be the better choice. I was hoping for some healthy debate on the pro's and con's and a little experience knowledge on which panel models would perform better under this criterion.

I dont mind if you aren't willing to give any assistance because of legal reasons, but then that kind of, defeats the object of having a forum doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Hi guys,

I'm more used to small commercial installations and HMO's, but I am trying to decide which panel to fit in a large domestic house (mansion). It is in a rural location and consists of 5 /6 bedrooms, 2 or 3 reception rooms, kitchen, utility, snooker room, swimming pool etc (like we all have ..... ;-(......)

I have had the electrical run in the cabling for a loop system originally and now that I am trying to design the system fully, I wondered whether an analogue addressable system or whether it would be easier (cheaper) to use a 2-wire system?

I will need to have sounder bases in bedrooms.

Thanks in advance chaps ;-)

Well assuming your not exceeding maximum areas for a single loop (or however many loops you have created), personally if they have the money i would definately go analogue, simply for the flexibility it offers regarding setting sensitivities/ day n night settings etc etc.

I would also go Hochiki ESP because

a. its a very robust protocol and won't be affected if you have lots of extra low voltage lighting transformers thrown around the ceilings, and you don't know where the sparks have installed the cables....

b. simpler and quicker identification of the origin of an alarm condition.

c. It allows you far more control over sounder levels from individual loop powered sounders than, for example, Apollo. This may be an issue for the client who really doesn't want to deafen his family or pets !!!

Control panel really is personal preference, I like Kentec or Morley etc....

I was just asking for an opinion on which panel/ system people would consider if it were their system. I'm hardly asking for a complete specification.

I am reasonably adept with conventional systems but have only used analogue addressable for other companies and they were large systems. This is where the difficulty is, in deciding which would be the better choice. I was hoping for some healthy debate on the pro's and con's and a little experience knowledge on which panel models would perform better under this criterion.

I dont mind if you aren't willing to give any assistance because of legal reasons, but then that kind of, defeats the object of having a forum doesn't it? :rolleyes:

:hmm: i was attempting to give you some sound business advice,

what you ask is a bit like me asking which is the best car for my purposes? you might say ford focus, others will say vauxhal astra, peugot partner (likely F.C.E. would vote skoda estelle :rolleyes: ) an so on. then i say i have 10 kids and 4 wives being i'm a Mormon (not really could never be dealing with so many mother-in-laws all at once :fear: but the barbys would be something else ;) )

likewise anyone not knowing your level of expertise and the site's actual requirements (and i'm not a fire alarm engineer so my advice is in general) will be had put to answer you, to list all the scenario's is a bit of a long ask and so hard to get really concise advice on, and you will be left with many conflicting statements because engineers all have their own personal favorites that obviously suit them.

might be more productive to ask what panels are thought of as just plain junk and best avoided, or tricky to program for a novice (with respect regarding addressable) and so on, that way at least you will have a better chance of avoiding most of the known 'dogs' out there.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

:hmm: i was attempting to give you some sound business advice,

Thanks for replying Alan, that is a lot more than a lot of people do, but the whole idea of a forum is to ask questions and give opinions isn't it? And yes you did give an opinion, but if you are not going to even attempt to answer the question then it has little benefit to me.

We can all assume that people asking questions must either be stupid or amatuers, but that is often not the case, even you must be stuck for a solution sometimes, does that make you instantly stupid? No it makes you human and to ask something on a forum is showing initiative, i believe, as it is a good resource of often reliable information.

I have been doing fire alarms on and off for various companies and contractors for twenty years or more, i have design, installation and maintenance certification and have worked on some very prestigious fire alarm contracts like Kensington Palace, Kensington barracks albeit as a mere installer but I still appreciate the vast knowledge of some of the more prolific fire alarm guys on here.

Thanks anyway for at least adding something to the debate.

Archived