Security Installer Community

Wireless Network

Guest Cerberus NI

Guest Cerberus NI

Just a quick one - I'm looking to set up a wireless network at home so that I can relocate the big items of the desk (printers,tower etc.).

What do I need to get to enable this - I currently have 3 printers and a non-wireless broadband connection.I would also like the capacity to integrate any further usb devices if required.

cheers in advance

Just a quick one - I'm looking to set up a wireless network at home so that I can relocate the big items of the desk (printers,tower etc.).

What do I need to get to enable this - I currently have 3 printers and a non-wireless broadband connection.I would also like the capacity to integrate any further usb devices if required.

cheers in advance

netgear do a wireless print server allows 3 printers off usb connections, ideal if using a lappy as you don't need the desktop on to act as the server.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

cheers in advance

It depends to some extent how things are connected at present, what ISP you have (and what equipment is used to connect to it) and what level of flexibility you want in future.

The core would be a wireless router of some sort (usually also supports wires). Lots of options & choices..

So:

1. Who's your ISP?

2. Cable or ADSL broadband?

3. What device (e.g. modem or router) connects to broadband at the moment (make & model) and is it LAN or USB to the PC?

4. How many PC's?

5. Are printers connected to PC or shared, e.g. via print server?

Cerberus it all depends on what you have at present really.

Basically what you want to do is have the ability to print from say your laptop remotely without having to turn you main pc on and also have the ability to surf the net wirelessly.

Totally possible..

All you really need is wireless print server such as netgear wgps606 http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/h_wireless_...ver_wgps606.php

and a cable between that and your normal router and you have the connectivity you need from your normal router and the ability to print, you can connect 2 printers to that print server.

All it then needs is a read of the manual - connect to it and configure it to your needs all depends on what router you got already as a few do support USB printers already just needs set up really, I think some "vigor" routers do this.

If you want to go total wirefree from your tower you will need either a PCI Wifi card or a USB Wifi dongle on the end of a good lead stick it some place it will get a good signal.

As with any Wifi system - enable the encyption you wouldn't want next door to be using your broadband connection now would you.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Guest Cerberus NI
It depends to some extent how things are connected at present, what ISP you have (and what equipment is used to connect to it) and what level of flexibility you want in future.

The core would be a wireless router of some sort (usually also supports wires). Lots of options & choices..

So:

1. Who's your ISP?

AOL

2. Cable or ADSL broadband?

ADSL

3. What device (e.g. modem or router) connects to broadband at the moment (make & model) and is it LAN or USB to the PC?

USB

4. How many PC's?

Just the one at present (tower but lappy may be added)

5. Are printers connected to PC or shared, e.g. via print server?

Presently connected to PC via usb ports.

Okay so you need a wireless router with built in print server since the USB just won't hack it...

I'm sure netgear have something in addition to their wireless print server just being a print server.

AOL - not to bad good deal actually once you get past all the "AOL browser" annoyance and get it working on Internet Explorer / Firefox.

If you want to get a wired router and just hook up that to the wireless print server you can do that as it would work as a wireless access point to your broadband router.. Recommendations are a plain wired netgear router unless you want to be able to surf at full 108mbps from the bottom of the garden and it's a big garden - not much need really..

I'd just have a look around the netgear site / vigor site and then go down to pc world and babble all this at them and watch the for the "glazed" look... it's priceless

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Looks like we're all heading the same way -makes a nice change!

Does your PC have a LAN (RJ45) port?

It's not critical, but setting up any wireless router is always easier using a wired connection initially.

Also, following the KISS principle I would say:

- get a wireless ADSL router first, e.g. Netgear DG834, and get it working "wired" properly before getting wireless or even cleverer.

- if you want shared printers, without them being "slaved" off a specific PC, add a (wireless?) print server later.

Given a free choice, unless you really need the "protection package" of AOL (or to preserve an email address) I would look at going to another ISP. It's not really appropriate for business use.

Finally, look at what deals are on offer from AOL to keep your business or others to get it. Wireless broadband can be had for little or nothing these days.

Guest Cerberus NI

cheers for all of that!!!

It's not for business so sticking with AOL isn't really an issue.

Probably right that I should go wired first to get it all running then take it from there.

:yes:

Probably right that I should go wired first to get it all running then take it from there.

tbh Cerb,

just use patch leads to hook them up if you have problems but i can't see why you should it's all very plug & play, i'm on cable so might be thta bit easier as you don't need to put you account and pasword into the router.

i used a fast US Robotics access point (125mps) plugged into the netgear router which has a usb port for printers, then a netgear wireless print server. the trickiest bit imo is securing the network with a key to stop unauthorised users nicking your data

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Why on earth have you got three printers at home..... you must have more space than you know what to do with..... you could build another nursery !!!

Greedy bugger......!! :P

Archived