Security Installer Community

Anyone else on call tonight?

Guest SGD

Not on call tonight but tomorrow :( ,

National company but we have been really quiet for the last few months, only 1 call in the last 3 shift's :)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Guest Samholland

On tonight, just covered last weekend no calls for three Days,

Usually when i get a call its either thier fault or some other external influence Like Major Power cuts, Decorators unscrewing PIR units, being called out to a nasel hair clipper buzzing in someones handbag (don't ask)..

The equipment is so much more reliable nowadays and a professional installation all cuts the false alarm rate, and of course customer training...

but,,,,Very quiet at the moment....

Guest Samholland

Do any smaller alarm firms cover for any other firms, national or otherwise.

I seem to get the impression from some users..????

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aeading

im on call only 1 call sorted over phone touch wood im of to bed for a quite night i hope but then again we are still fitting gallent panles????????????? :D

It must be true that the smaller companies have less callouts and it isn't down to a smaller customer base than the big nationals either. Up until my previous employer sold up, I used to do call every other week and get little in the amount of callouts, if any at all.

I did a small stint at a rival company in Hull about 2 years ago and every other callout was down to PIRs not having their cable entry holes filled, cieling holes filled or PIRs installed in vunerable places. Spiders were common and finding no zone listings or specifications on site seemed common too. The personal touch does seem non existent with larger firms. Installation engineers rarely being informed of where they are going wrong. After all, the service engineer will put it right of course.

The smaller firm on the other hand, every customer, the boss would know. He had some involvement in the job wether it being selling the actual unit or maybe visiting himself at some stage. You can't get away with cutting corners when theres always a possibility that the boss would find out lol. Not that corners should be cut of course.

I do 1 night in 6 at Sentry and sometimes visit premises that have had alarms in for well over 20 years installed by the company. We do cover a large area though. I got a call at 3.30am last Thursday and had to run out to Sheffield. A heavy duty magnetic rollerdoor contact had rotted away and needed changing. I arrived back in Hull 4 hours later. Thankfully at Sentry, we comply with the 8 hour uninterupted sleep rule. Technically, I could have gone home on full pay for 8 hours sleep. Instead, I came in for the morning and had the afternoon off. not bad for a Friday though. The week before, I was in Northgate, Wakefield at the College Pub. A nice place with bright yellow walls that needed a replacement 7ah battery.

Tony

ACE.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I was in Northgate, Wakefield at the College Pub. A nice place with bright yellow walls that needed a replacement 7ah battery.

Hi Compo, you should have rung me, I live a mile or so away. (for a price of course :D )

P.s ive been on call since 0830 and not a tinkle :P who say's nationals are alway's busy?

Also been on call twice in the week (favours) and not a sniff...all I need now are "my chicks for free"!!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Chics for free eh. Put me down for some of those lol.

I'm actually off this week but decided to continue my callout duty which is today, good old Bank Holiday Monday. the chances are, nothing or very little will happen seeing as the majority of our alarms are still closed from Saturday. Being on call today does have it's benefits though. Even if I get zero callouts, I earn a day in leiu. I'm on from 8am this morn until 8am tomorrow. I do hope it's quiet though. I've heard 'Free Willy' is on later. I'm always up for a mucky movie ;)

Tony

ACE.gif

oh the joys of being on call for security systems, i remember it well from when i did a stint at keybury security in keighley, now i`ve come to my senses and gone back to fire alarms and rarely get anything, or if we do we give advice over phone and go in mormal working hours, i was origionally supposed to be on today but the call out rota changed so on tomorrow now

Archived