Security Installer Community

Info Required On Installing Pbx Systems

sapper

Hi

My name is phil and i am a fully trained openreach/BT engineer. I would like to know how to install pbx systems as i only work outside from exchange to customer on all isdn adsl res biz lines full jointer cst engineer. What would be the best way for me to learn pbx system installs

Hi

My name is phil and i am a fully trained openreach/BT engineer. I would like to know how to install pbx systems as i only work outside from exchange to customer on all isdn adsl res biz lines full jointer cst engineer. What would be the best way for me to learn pbx system installs

Hi sapper,

welcome to the forums,

this is a bit like asking "how do i get to repair cars" having worked on motorbikes tbh and with all respect. you will need strong logical thought ability mixed in with generous lashings of pure insanity

many makers run training courses as do telecoms distributors, so you need to pick a brand and start from there. as to where you start would be based on your market needs, but if you can i'd suggest get a small s/h system of ebay with all manuals so as get the 'feel'. maybe as you are BT trained it would be a fair place to start with their brand, popular makes look at Telrad, Samsung, Panasonic and my personal favourite Siemens Hi Path.

courses tend to be 3 - 5 days at their base and you have to pay for most of them. i'd suggest you go on a structured cabling course run by Molex which is (or was? :unsure: )

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi Sapper...

As a starter for 10, why not, next time back at the exchange, have a look in the skip?

I would guess you will find a BT Revelation and hopefully a systemphone... that would get you started... you may even be lucky and find a Meridian system, although I suggest that *would* be pushing your first attemps!

The Revelation is a hybrid system, meaning it supports both analogue and digital handsets, and is pretty configurable for a small (max 4+12) system.

So much of this kit is recovered these days and skipped.... and I would expect its best to ask your boss before you walk off with kit, even out of the skip...just to be sure...

If you have access, you will find the "not to be shown outside BT" manuals... or have a search online, as many PABX manuals are online.,.....

Hope that is of help...

DJ

The installation of a PBX is not difficult - if you can wack a pair from the exchange to an NTE sone several Km away, you can can wack a pair or two from the PBX CCU to a socket by a desk!

It is the programming that may be a little bit unknown to you, and to grasp this you need a good insight into how offices operate, and what customers expect from a phone system.

I would go and troll ebay - get yourself a second user BT Versatility if you can - this his still a current system, and the programming is fairly straight forward. They go fairly cheaply at times.

Going back in time, look for a BT Pathway, BT Inspiration, BT Revilation.

OR....go for some other makes.

NEC XN120 - pricey, but full of features.

Panasonics are a used by many firms - a bit of a DIY system, but still has all many of the features etc, and suits many businesses.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

• 3 months later...

Sapper

Are you still employed with BT. If you are see if you can get a week with systems guys. I know its a bit different now CSEs are under Openreach to get any where but have a chat to your Level 1 or if he can be arsed level2 you never know. If that doesn't work see if some one will take you out on a few visits. To be honest like everyone else has said its the programing side that takes a bit of getting use to. Also get your networking skills up as many systems are going down the route of IP so it wouldn't hurt.

Have a look at this link (I know its American) but at least you can get free manuals for a rough idea. http://www.wedophones.com/index.html

Out of interest whats your patch.

Archived