Security Installer Community

Proximity Reader For Small Office

simonw

I have a small office contained in a small building which is itself protected by what I consider (in my limited experience!) to be a reasonably secure and not inexpensive system (Galaxy 2-20). I am also aware of the fact that a child can find a door access system on the internet, but the issue is that there are a lot of systems to choose from. I came to the forum in the hope that someone may be able to provide some advice based on practical experience, this would be far preferable to me basing my judgement solely on pictures in a glossy brochure. I have found previous advice from the forum to be very useful.

hello again, are you aware you can use the galaxy to lock/unlock and set/unset the system at the same time?

if you use the correct honeywell reader its not a problem. you will also need some form of lock, 12 v fail safe (if you have a power cut you don't get locked in the room) or a 12v mag-lock (magnetic, obviously). either of the locks should have a separate power supply and on the wall, above the door or in a cupboard is best/safest. the mag-lock is not the best way of "locking" a door though. this system is not for a DIY'er, don't take offence, and you would need to program the alarm panel too. it will cost a bit more than 150 quid but the entire system would be integrated.

what dyer think?

hello again, are you aware you can use the galaxy to lock/unlock and set/unset the system at the same time?

if you use the correct honeywell reader its not a problem. you will also need some form of lock, 12 v fail safe (if you have a power cut you don't get locked in the room) or a 12v mag-lock (magnetic, obviously). either of the locks should have a separate power supply and on the wall, above the door or in a cupboard is best/safest. the mag-lock is not the best way of "locking" a door though. this system is not for a DIY'er, don't take offence, and you would need to program the alarm panel too. it will cost a bit more than 150 quid but the entire system would be integrated.

what dyer think?

Hi, thanks for the thoughts. I did consider attaching to the Galaxy, but after calling Honeywell and being passed around their several departments I must admit I gave up! The access group didn't seem to know whether their kit will fit the Galaxy and the Galaxy people didn't appear to know much about the access control equipment.

Anyway it could still be an option, but one of the main reasons for having the door lock in the first place is to stop Joe Public sticking his nose in during the day (when the rest of the system is unset and the office occupants are having a cuppa or down at the pub (the main part of the premises forms a shop). It's for this reason I thought of going for the simplistic option of a standalone system for the office door. When the entire premises is empty and the system is set an intruder would have to pass through several zones protected by the Galaxy (either outside or inside the office) to get to the office door.

I don't think much to the wages for alarm installers in Glasgow by the way - 99p?

why bother?

a push button lock would be a better idea

just stick a lock on the door and put a 5 quid doorbell outside. instead of video access, drill a hole in the door!

simon why not?

post edit - the more i think about it what would you gain with the reader as far as joe public goes? you would still have to answer the door to them.

why not fit a lock and issue keys?

just stick a lock on the door and put a 5 quid doorbell outside. instead of video access, drill a hole in the door!

simon why not?

post edit - the more i think about it what would you gain with the reader as far as joe public goes? you would still have to answer the door to them.

why not fit a lock and issue keys?

Ok, you're right - in reality I probably don't really need anything flash to do the job.

I don't have to answer the door to Joe Public. The public will be in the building to access the shop but they will not be allowed to enter the office. The only people to enter the office will be the 4 or so office workers and the occasional business visitor who will have a prior appointment. There won't be anyone knocking at the door that I want to let in.

The work done in the office can sometimes be vaguely commercially sensitive and I think that the image perceived by the occasional business visitor who is having work done for him is important. That's why I was thinking that electronic access would do the job and give a more professional impression than a Yale lock - but maybe I would be wasting my money by going this way.

Archived