Security Installer Community

Veritas R8+ Buzzing

burtonesq

Hi, I've recently installed a Texecom Veritas R8+, all working fine and I'm very happy with it.

However, since installation there has been a steadily growing buzz/hum from the internal PSU (transformer). This is verified by removing mains supply at which point the buzzing stops. It is now quite loud.

Is this normal for this panel, can anything be done to alleviate it. IE: complain to texecom or use an external PSU ?

There are 5 PIR's, 1 SCB and 1RKP on the system.......... just in case it's relevant.

Hi, I've recently installed a Texecom Veritas R8+, all working fine and I'm very happy with it.

However, since installation there has been a steadily growing buzz/hum from the internal PSU (transformer). This is verified by removing mains supply at which point the buzzing stops. It is now quite loud.

Is this normal for this panel, can anything be done to alleviate it. IE: complain to texecom or use an external PSU ?

There are 5 PIR's, 1 SCB and 1RKP on the system.......... just in case it's relevant.

The humming is coming from your transformer.

That's why its called transformer humm.

It happens when the laminates come parted slightly,on some of them the transformer is screwed onto the backplate of the cpu .

WARNING if this is the case turn off the electricity and tighten up slightly,then turn juice back on and check the ac secondary voltage to see if its ok.

If problem still exists then replace transformer.

As stated above, tighten up the 4 transformer screws, its a common fault.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

above is correctm but could be because too much load is being drawn, i don;t want to be a panic merchant, but do you have any decent fire insurance cover?

chances are it is loose plates vibrating but i advised getting it check out properly and promptly just in case there is a heavish short or a faulty battery involved

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thanks for quick replies. Took your advice and tightened up the transformer screws, unfortunately it made little difference. :unsure:

Checked that the panel and box were all square and supported properly then rang Texecom to get further advice.

They agree transformer is probably dodgy and suggested sending it back to them, only then will they send out a replacement. Sounds pretty poor customer service as I'd be without an alarm for several days. :angry2:

I ended up taking transformer from 13yr old ADE Concept 6 and swapping it as it was almost identical. Hey presto, problem solved. :rolleyes:

Now to send the old one back for replacement.........!!!

Thanks again

Thanks for quick replies. Took your advice and tightened up the transformer screws, unfortunately it made little difference. :unsure:

Checked that the panel and box were all square and supported properly then rang Texecom to get further advice.

They agree transformer is probably dodgy and suggested sending it back to them, only then will they send out a replacement. Sounds pretty poor customer service as I'd be without an alarm for several days. :angry2:

I ended up taking transformer from 13yr old ADE Concept 6 and swapping it as it was almost identical. Hey presto, problem solved. :rolleyes:

Now to send the old one back for replacement.........!!!

Thanks again

Another happy customer,glad it all worked out mate.

Archived