Security Installer Community

H.264 Or Jpeg2000?

TSionline

Hi Guys

I wanted to check with installers what compression they prefer on DVRs? We have been selling JPEG2000 for a while now BUT recently had our first H.264 DVR come into stock.

Now its a nice unit offers massive recording times, but the quality of playback is far less then Jpeg2000. I understand this is normal with h.264, so i wanted to ask installers what they think. As the way i see it, its a decision of quality over recording times.

You want quality, you use jpeg, but need large drives. You want long recording times you use h.264 but quality is reduced.

What do you installers think? what do you prefer? any comments welcome

thanks

James

mpeg4 normally does the job.

Depends on the job ... ;)

I've just been using a reasonably priced branded DVR using MPEG 4, and despite some very nice live images courtesy of a well set up 540 line camera, the recorded images appeared sub VHS on playback, despite the unit having everything set to maximum quality.

I'm becoming increasingly concerned that too often quality is being sacrificed on the alter of recording duration, with clients asking for long record periods, but not being prepared to pay a bit extra for the necessary storage capacity.

This appears to be a growing problem, and IMHO one which needs to be acknowledged, and addressed as a matter of priority.

The H.264 DVR are more popular in the european market along with the people increasing needs. Most people are worry about the video quality of the H.264DVR, but as a manufacture , we sell this cards for a long time .while our customers feedback that they are impressed of the transmission, video quality and system itself.

So what is the DVR400U??

Hi barooga, the dvr400U is a budget system of ours that uses the compression 'Modified MJPEG' - but the H.264 Units we have and the new models we will be bringing in are not to compete with the 400U but with the JPEG2000 range. Hence i compared these, obviously if you have any comments on other compressions feel free to let us know your thoughts.

Thanks

James

Hi Doktor Jon

Problem addresed and solved. 14 BIT, Multimegapixel, CCD lossless recording! Please find Avigilon on the www and pm me if you want to see the evidence

Blows the megapixel camera market apart

ATB

Robin

cheers for that Robin,

I actually spent a fair bit of time with the Avigilon chaps at IFSEC.

Now if they could just do the 16MP camera at the same price as a 540 line analogue camera :lol:

I must admit the 4MP unit looks a very interesting beast on paper. Any experience of using it ...?

The problem of course is that whilst MP cameras are going to become increasingly important over the next few years, in the meantime we are stuck with a lot of priced down DVR gear, much of which (terrible grammar ;) ) is just not up to the job.

At some point, as an industry we need to try and get the best out of what is available, and not simply buy cheap and settle for second best (sorry , ranting again ).

I've just noticed I haven't added Avigilon into my Manufacturers Directory; another job for tomorrow :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived