Security Installer Community

Two Closed Going Open Contacts From One

kevmac

i have a pir which gives a closed going open contact. My problem is that i need two independant outputs to trigger two devices. when i loop through both devices - throught the closed going open, only one will trigger. Does any one know of a solution which preferably does not use power

i have a pir which gives a closed going open contact. My problem is that i need two independant outputs to trigger two devices. when i loop through both devices - throught the closed going open, only one will trigger. Does any one know of a solution which preferably does not use power

Sounds like your wireing them in series not in parallel, little more info would help us answer better though

P.S Just in case your trying to switch power through the contacts, the reed switches will not take any significant voltage as they will weld shut as they change state

Never Teach Your Apprentice Everything You Know

You say 'does not use power' whats powering the pir??

The pir uses 12v, the system is battery operated and designed to work of 12v batteries. I have concidered sending 12v through the closed going open circuit to operate a relay which will give me 2 independant triggers. the problem is that my equipment only draws 32ma in standby. if i add a constantly energised relay it could double (or more) the consumption. Thus halving the battery life.

Hi,

You could use a reed relay which has a very low current consumption or convert the existing PIR relay to n/o type with additional reed in parallel (not sure if they do a dual reed relay)

Note what one of the other posters has mentioned, reed relay contacts will 'weld' if excess current is drawn

Ian

The pir uses 12v, the system is battery operated and designed to work of 12v batteries. I have concidered sending 12v through the closed going open circuit to operate a relay which will give me 2 independant triggers. the problem is that my equipment only draws 32ma in standby. if i add a constantly energised relay it could double (or more) the consumption. Thus halving the battery life.

stick 2 batteries on then

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

What is it your trying to do ?

I think i have cracked it. right or wrong...it works. I have passed both signal outputs from both devices through diodes, i have then commoned them and passed them through the closed going open switch (PIR) i have then commoned the other side and fed it to both devices trigger ground. Not sure why... but it works !!!

I think i have cracked it. right or wrong...it works. I have passed both signal outputs from both devices through diodes, i have then commoned them and passed them through the closed going open switch (PIR) i have then commoned the other side and fed it to both devices trigger ground. Not sure why... but it works !!!

:wacko:

Archived