Security Installer Community

Videolarm Dome Housing

KA3TNO

Hey Guys

This is my first post and first time messing around with a motorized dome. I have an electronics background so I am not completely lost LOL. I have acquired a new old stock Videolarm dome housing that pans, tilts and also has a heater and blower motor. The model number is SDW12TSXRPL. It was made in 1998 and is in new condition. I do need a CCD color camera with zoom for it, but I will work on that later. I do have a 24 volt power supply for it. I want to get this working with some kind of control or with the DVR card I have in one of my computers. I am not sure if the software supports Videolarm equipment. I also would be willing to build some kind of control box if possible. I just need to do the basics pan, tilt, & zoom. I don't need all that fancy stuff like programing etc. I contacted Videolarm but it seems they could not be bothered because the dome is old. So I did a little web surfing and found this forum. So here I am. I would very much appreciate any help on getting this dome up and running.

Thanks A Lot

Kevin KA3TNO

Hey Guys

This is my first post and first time messing around with a motorized dome. I have an electronics background so I am not completely lost LOL. I have acquired a new old stock Videolarm dome housing that pans, tilts and also has a heater and blower motor. The model number is SDW12TSXRPL. It was made in 1998 and is in new condition. I do need a CCD color camera with zoom for it, but I will work on that later. I do have a 24 volt power supply for it. I want to get this working with some kind of control or with the DVR card I have in one of my computers. I am not sure if the software supports Videolarm equipment. I also would be willing to build some kind of control box if possible. I just need to do the basics pan, tilt, & zoom. I don't need all that fancy stuff like programing etc. I contacted Videolarm but it seems they could not be bothered because the dome is old. So I did a little web surfing and found this forum. So here I am. I would very much appreciate any help on getting this dome up and running.

Thanks A Lot

Kevin KA3TNO

Hi Kevin, I don't know the model dome you have but they work in different ways sometimes. You need to check the wiring connector and see if it works via "dumb" wiring control cores, like one wire for up, one for down you get the idea, of see if there is a data input that "decodes" telementry information from a digital controler. You may also be able to intercept the wiring to the control servos and drive it manually, hopefully it has mechanical limits if you do that!

It's hard to be of more help but I would advise first finding out the "protocol" of the control and then trying to source a controler keyboard that supports it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Hey Luggsey

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about bypassing the control boards. I could build a switch box for the servos and install something to limit the ranges. But if I can get it working fully with camera functions that would be better. Well let me list the info from the guy that I received the housing from.

THIS DOME FEATURES A 24VOLT MOTORIZED PAN AND TILT MOUNT, SMOKED OUTER DOME AND AN INTEGRATED WALL MOUNT. THE COOLEST FEATURE IS A GOLD PLATED SLIP RING DRIVE WHICH ALLOWS YOU TO HAVE A CONTINUOUS 360DEGREE PAN IN BOTH DIRECTIONS WITHOUT EVER TWISTING ANY WIRES. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS POP-IN ANY CCD CAMERA WITH OR WITHOUT ZOOM LENS(CONNECTIONS ARE INTEGRATED) AND AN APPROPRIATE CONTROLLER. THIS UNIT WILL ACCEPT VL COAXILYNX UP THE COAX CONTROL (THE RECIEVER BOARD IS INCLUDED) OR OTHER TYPE OF CONTROL(CONTACT VIDEOLARM) . THIS SETUP IS FAR SUPERIOR TO UNITIZED TYPE DOMES BECAUSE YOU CAN MATCH CAMERA TYPE AND ZOOM LENS TO THE APPLICATION AND STILL HAVE THE SAME FUNCTIONALITY.

ACCORDING TO VIDEOLARM YOU CAN USE THEIR COAXILYNX CONTROLLER, IT SENDS CONTROL SIGNALS UP THE COAX, SORTA LIKE PELCO DOES, AND THE RECIEVER BOARD IS ALREADY INSTALLED INSIDE. SO WITH THE RIGHT CONTROLLER ALL YOU NEED IS COAX AND POWER FOR WIRING. I THINK THERE MAY BE AN ALTERNATE METHOD AS WELL, BUT YOU WOULD NEED TO CONTACT VIDEOLARM OR THEIR DEALER. I INSTALL BOSCH CAMERAS, AND JUST GOT THESE BY ACCIDENT, SO I'M NOT A VIDEOLARM EXPERT

I did contact Videolarm but like I said in the first post they could not be bothered because it is a older dome. So I am trying the alternate method. The controller they have is more them I need and looks pricey. In other work I am trying to do it cheep LOL. I also have some PDF file on the housing. But they don't tell me what each wire does or how much voltage to apply or ground. I could send the PDF files to you if you thing that might help.

Kevin

Hey Luggsey

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about bypassing the control boards. I could build a switch box for the servos and install something to limit the ranges. But if I can get it working fully with camera functions that would be better. Well let me list the info from the guy that I received the housing from.

THIS DOME FEATURES A 24VOLT MOTORIZED PAN AND TILT MOUNT, SMOKED OUTER DOME AND AN INTEGRATED WALL MOUNT. THE COOLEST FEATURE IS A GOLD PLATED SLIP RING DRIVE WHICH ALLOWS YOU TO HAVE A CONTINUOUS 360DEGREE PAN IN BOTH DIRECTIONS WITHOUT EVER TWISTING ANY WIRES. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS POP-IN ANY CCD CAMERA WITH OR WITHOUT ZOOM LENS(CONNECTIONS ARE INTEGRATED) AND AN APPROPRIATE CONTROLLER. THIS UNIT WILL ACCEPT VL COAXILYNX UP THE COAX CONTROL (THE RECIEVER BOARD IS INCLUDED) OR OTHER TYPE OF CONTROL(CONTACT VIDEOLARM) . THIS SETUP IS FAR SUPERIOR TO UNITIZED TYPE DOMES BECAUSE YOU CAN MATCH CAMERA TYPE AND ZOOM LENS TO THE APPLICATION AND STILL HAVE THE SAME FUNCTIONALITY.

ACCORDING TO VIDEOLARM YOU CAN USE THEIR COAXILYNX CONTROLLER, IT SENDS CONTROL SIGNALS UP THE COAX, SORTA LIKE PELCO DOES, AND THE RECIEVER BOARD IS ALREADY INSTALLED INSIDE. SO WITH THE RIGHT CONTROLLER ALL YOU NEED IS COAX AND POWER FOR WIRING. I THINK THERE MAY BE AN ALTERNATE METHOD AS WELL, BUT YOU WOULD NEED TO CONTACT VIDEOLARM OR THEIR DEALER. I INSTALL BOSCH CAMERAS, AND JUST GOT THESE BY ACCIDENT, SO I'M NOT A VIDEOLARM EXPERT

I did contact Videolarm but like I said in the first post they could not be bothered because it is a older dome. So I am trying the alternate method. The controller they have is more them I need and looks pricey. In other work I am trying to do it cheep LOL. I also have some PDF file on the housing. But they don't tell me what each wire does or how much voltage to apply or ground. I could send the PDF files to you if you thing that might help.

Kevin

It sounds like they may use their own protocol then, you need to find out more about the protocol, it may be a "standard" one like pelco but I would suggest a post to a US site like this one or the news groups to find someone that knows what the protocol is, you may then match up a controler for it.

On the manual control, try 12 volts first, if it's too slow then it's 24, very rarely they are mains voltage but this will require someone with the required safety skills to investigate unless you are suitably skilled in mains voltage work. (The ad says 24 volt so it's a good bet this is correct) Can you look at the servos and see a voltage rating? It's normally there....

Looking at their site it appears they have their own protocol so you need to look into that a bit more. Videolarm Controler

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

I am back. Well I build my own controller to make the camera pan/tilt. I am just controlling the motors directly and it works great. Now I am working on the heater and blower. I am planing on building two separate circuits to control relays. Should work fine.

Kevin

Archived