Security Installer Community

Commuting Ends Of 6 Core Cable In A 'spare Zone'?

RobC

History: An accenta 8 alarm was installed approx 7 years ago by an electrician whom I can no longer find. He installed 7 zones, the last one being a length of 6 core cable hanging out the side of the house ready for a garage which we have never built.

Now: Recently the alarm has been sounding with the 'attack' registered in zone 7 (the spare). Also when I went to look at the wire, the alarm started bleeping as I moved the wire in my hands. The ends were covered in a lot of electrical tape which I removed.

The yellow and green (fairly sure it's the tamper circuit) were twisted together but I'm not sure about the others which are red/black (power?) and blue and white.

I have removed a few inches of the wire end, stripped yellow and green and twisted them together but am unsure what to do with the rest. If I come out of engineer mode at the moment with four floating and yellow/green together and try and set the system it is showing a problem with the zone.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

History: An accenta 8 alarm was installed approx 7 years ago by an electrician whom I can no longer find. He installed 7 zones, the last one being a length of 6 core cable hanging out the side of the house ready for a garage which we have never built.

Now: Recently the alarm has been sounding with the 'attack' registered in zone 7 (the spare). Also when I went to look at the wire, the alarm started bleeping as I moved the wire in my hands. The ends were covered in a lot of electrical tape which I removed.

The yellow and green (fairly sure it's the tamper circuit) were twisted together but I'm not sure about the others which are red/black (power?) and blue and white.

I have removed a few inches of the wire end, stripped yellow and green and twisted them together but am unsure what to do with the rest. If I come out of engineer mode at the moment with four floating and yellow/green together and try and set the system it is showing a problem with the zone.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

You'll never know what wire is what without looking inside the panel, which contains live unshielded mains so should only be done if you're competent to do this safely.

There is no standard of what colour is used for what purpose, and one pair will probably be power so you could have blown a fuse by now.

If you don't have the installation manual opening the box won't help much either, so unless you intend to learn how to maintain the system yourself you should call out a professional engineer to disconnect and program out that circuit.

Ok Thanks

I am clued up enough to stay away from the mains and after looking at the main board saw the black/red to the mains power, all the blue/whites to the separate zones and the green/yellow to the tamper (twisting them together also stopped the tamper alarm).

I thought about the fuse but the individual zones don't appear to be individually fused, I can see four fuses on the accessible side of the main board but I'm not going to go any further than that. Also, only one zone is showing a problem..........

Call out it is....

Archived