Security Installer Community

Veritas 8 - Problem

preecy

We had an electric garage door fitted yesterday and the guys who installed it wired it into the closest mains which was the centeral heating/boiler switch in the kitchen. We have an old style mains unit which has removable fuses for all the circuits in the house (ie: heating, cooker, upstairs mains, upstairs lights, downstairs mains, down etc). Any how they managed to pop the heating fuse which triggered off our house alarm (veritas 8 system). We have now discovered the alarm is on the same 5amp heating circuit. As we could not stop the alarm I removed the front panel and disconnected & reconnected the battery. Although this stopped the alarm the power LED repeatedly flashed (at the time I assumed this meant the battery was recharging).

This morning i tried to set the alarm before leaving for work however it refused to set. As the heating, garage door and alarm is now all on a single 5amp fuse i removed it to test. Doing this triggered the alarm off yet again. Again I was unable to stop it using our usual code. Due to the fact it was 8am, had most likely woken all the neighbours and was now late for work i disconnected the console from the mains & battery. The outside bell continued for 20 minutes and then stopped.

My problem is... the firm who fitted the alarm has gone bust. We've had a local alarm engineer out in the past who service it but was unable to do disable the panic buttons, which is what we got him out for in the fist place, as nobody knew the engineers code. On top of this we're going on holiday tomorrow for a fortnight and now have to leave the house without an alarm.

I'm have no experience with alarms however if anyone has any suggestions which can be carried out by a novice please let me know. Any advise would be appreciated.

PS - We intend to have an professional look at it when we return.

Your alarm should not go off when the mains power is cut, so it already had a problem - failed battery at least, possibly damage to the controller as well.

It sounds like what you did has "exhausted" it, so leave it totally disconnected and it should stay dead and hopefully not annoy the neighbours again.

As you say, a professional is needed to look at it. There is nothing you can do as an amateur to reinstate the alarm unfortunately, and it will have to be off while you're away. :ninja:

Guest anguscanplay

sorry to say thats true but can we use this link to all those people who say the 24hr response is a waste of money ?

pay someone and it will be done before you go

Guest anguscanplay
Pay someone to maintain it and the problem wouldn't have even happened! :whistle:

ah the joy of getting insurance after the car crash - priceless

But the house owner had a local firm out to service the system and take out the PA's and he could not do it.That's strange unless he has locked the code in!

I wonder if this local firm is regestered but he should have managed to do the job?????

!

But the house owner had a local firm out to service the system and take out the PA's and he could not do it.That's strange unless he has locked the code in!

I wonder if this local firm is regestered but he should have managed to do the job?????

what has dis-connecting the P.A. and the eng code got in common?

any engineer with half a brain could dis-connect the P.A. without a engineer code.

seems they were stuck with a john wayne. :horse:

Guest anguscanplay
what has dis-connecting the P.A. and the eng code got in common?

any engineer with half a brain could dis-connect the P.A. without a engineer code.

seems they were stuck with a john wayne. :horse:

and now they have gone away with no alarm on - shocking way to save fifty odd quid per year

We had an electric garage door fitted yesterday and the guys who installed it wired it into the closest mains which was the centeral heating/boiler switch in the kitchen. We have an old style mains unit which has removable fuses for all the circuits in the house (ie: heating, cooker, upstairs mains, upstairs lights, downstairs mains, down etc). Any how they managed to pop the heating fuse which triggered off our house alarm (veritas 8 system). We have now discovered the alarm is on the same 5amp heating circuit. As we could not stop the alarm I removed the front panel and disconnected & reconnected the battery. Although this stopped the alarm the power LED repeatedly flashed (at the time I assumed this meant the battery was recharging).

This morning i tried to set the alarm before leaving for work however it refused to set. As the heating, garage door and alarm is now all on a single 5amp fuse i removed it to test. Doing this triggered the alarm off yet again. Again I was unable to stop it using our usual code. Due to the fact it was 8am, had most likely woken all the neighbours and was now late for work i disconnected the console from the mains & battery. The outside bell continued for 20 minutes and then stopped.

My problem is... the firm who fitted the alarm has gone bust. We've had a local alarm engineer out in the past who service it but was unable to do disable the panic buttons, which is what we got him out for in the fist place, as nobody knew the engineers code. On top of this we're going on holiday tomorrow for a fortnight and now have to leave the house without an alarm.

I'm have no experience with alarms however if anyone has any suggestions which can be carried out by a novice please let me know. Any advise would be appreciated.

PS - We intend to have an professional look at it when we return.

Sounds like a great garage door company, havent they heard of the IEE wiring Regs, if i was you i would get your electrics checked over by a quailified spark, not just for peace of mind but if your still on the old rewirable fuses you aint got much protection againts numious faults....................

Archived