Tamper Fault

sparrow

Guest BellMan371
agreed never take as read anything on the internet - me im a 14 year old lol

WELL WE KNEW THAT FROM DAY 1 :lol:

Guest anguscanplay
physical or mental age?

mummy says if im a good girl i can have a " multimeter " for christmas

its amasing how by posting lots in the diy section you can have a " elite member " tag when your total knowledge is ONE system - nothing personnal

Guest anguscanplay
angus, i have forgotten more than you will ever know,,,,,

nothing personal though

doubtfull - but mummy does say its the experiance that counts lol

Calm it down folks - I didn't mean to start world war 3 with my question.

To clarify where I'm coming from, I only deal with tradesman who have been recommended to me by friends and family - this policy has stood me well - the last time I used an "approved" tradesman (plumbing in this case) I got "bitten". Overcharged and shoddy work - he was supposedly approved. If I ask the Police, and if they don't tell me to stuff off, I suspect that they will merely recite from an "approved list" - approved by whom? - The residents of Dodge City? :rolleyes: The same applies to insurance companies.

When my alarm was fitted 18 years ago, I had seen other systems fitted by this man for friends and family - he was extremely thorough and careful with his work and went to great lengths to do a good job. I know because I helped him routing the cables.

Perhaps I'm getting cynical in my old age but experience tells me to only deal with people I know and trust. Therein lies the problem because at the moment, no one I know can recommend anyone. That's why I've had to DIY my problem.

Guest Dave the alarm man
- the last time I used an "approved" tradesman (plumbing in this case) I got "bitten". Overcharged and shoddy work - he was supposedly approved. If I ask the Police, and if they don't tell me to stuff off, I suspect that they will merely recite from an "approved list" - approved by whom? - The residents of Dodge City? :rolleyes: The same applies to insurance companies.

I assumed you checked before hand? corgi have around 55,000 gas installing business on the role, nic eic around 20,000 contractors, alarm installers less than 4000 in the two bodies (nsi / ssaib) both of which are in inspected by ukas

When my alarm was fitted 18 years ago,

dead, disabled chucked it who knows? if he was installing without maintenace contracts I can guess way he no longer in business

Perhaps I'm getting cynical in my old age but experience tells me to only deal with people I know and trust.

a fortnight I replaced the controls in house upon commissioning I note theres no earth on the alarm supply, the consumer units been replaced & part rewired complete lack of earth to any of the eletrical install, the meter tails have also been replaced but the termials cover is missing leaving exposed electrical parts for the cleints child to touch (childs toys are in this understair cupboard) oh & he has also broken the law by not certing the work or informing building controll, a nice man recommened by a neighbour who's brother owned the house.

I assumed you checked before hand? corgi have around 55,000 gas installing business on the role, nic eic around 20,000 contractors, alarm installers less than 4000 in the two bodies (nsi / ssaib) both of which are in inspected by ukas

The idiot who did the plumbing for our extension was corgi registered - left us with 13 leaks that I fixed myself - needless to say the builder didn't use him again - corgi is no guarantee of good workmanship.

dead, disabled chucked it who knows? if he was installing without maintenace contracts I can guess way he no longer in business

I know what you're implying and I can't say I like it - I may not be an alarm fitter (thank goodness) but I can tell good workmanship when I see it. He certainly was NOT a cowboy and did an excellent job. - A tamper fault 18 years on can hardly be attributed to poor workmanship.

a fortnight I replaced the controls in house upon commissioning I note theres no earth on the alarm supply, the consumer units been replaced & part rewired complete lack of earth to any of the eletrical install, the meter tails have also been replaced but the termials cover is missing leaving exposed electrical parts for the cleints child to touch (childs toys are in this understair cupboard) oh & he has also broken the law by not certing the work or informing building controll, a nice man recommened by a neighbour who's brother owned the house.

Well thank goodness my installation isn't like that.

When I joined this forum I did so obviously for help and I also made it clear that I was a DIY'er I also made sure that my posting was polite and friendly - I thought it would be a friendly place to get help and indeed, some of the replies were friendly. However, there has also been a distinct line of superiority and an element of insults - For this reason, I see no point in posting further in this thread as it will only perpetuate it.

To those who posted helpful positive comments - once again I thank you.

Guest Dave the alarm man
corgi is no guarantee of good workmanship.

I never said it was however, I assume you did not bother to go back to corgi to get the matter resovled?

off their webby

If your complaint is against a CORGI-registered installer you have employed, we will arrange for one of our Inspectors to visit you to examine whether the work complained of has been carried out safely and competently. This inspection is free of charge.
He certainly was NOT a cowboy and did an excellent job. - A tamper fault 18 years on can hardly be attributed to poor workmanship.

It all a matter of opinion, cowboy = non compliant with the then BS 4737 you get a full spec, commissioning readings, user guide, system log? not only paperwork, did you get cables marked, circuits paired a 3amp fuse in the FCU? a SAB made from the correct thickness of steel or polycarbonate, i'd put a fiver on polyprene cover & no bell module :P

I see no point in posting further in this thread as it will only perpetuate it.

Maybe you've got the superiority complex too :whistle:

BTW not only are we audited by a 3rd party, we audit ourselfs too (ISO) & yes we can find fault in our own work because we look long & hard to find

Archived