Security Installer Community

Tamper Fault

sparrow

Hi folks and here's hoping you can help me.

First I'd like to point out that my alarm was fitted by an electrician and wasn't a DIY installation, but I have done DIY maintenance on it since, so I hope I'm in the right forum. If not please accept my apologies.

I have a Challenger Alarm with CEF AP28 COntrol Panel. 5 PIR room sensors + a further PIR in the garage which can be active 24hrs and is switched off isolated by a switch at our back door, and a fire alarm.

History Alarm was fitted 6 years ago by an electrician - the wiring and PIRs were left in place and re-used from a previous alarm installation from about 17 years ago, and connected to the new control panel and box. I noticed the gargage PIR was no longer working a few weeks ago and so I replaced it - blew the fuse in the control box while I was doing it so have replaced the 1amp fuses for the mains circuit and battery circuit. I also put a new battery in because the old one was 6 years old. System worked fine after that until yesterday when all of a sudden for no apparent reason the tamper alarm (internal) went off. I've checked all the PIR covers to make sure they're on properly and they are. I've also checked the cover on the box and that's closed properly aswell. I also tried to contact the manufacturers for help but they don't seem to exist any more.

I would happily have got the electrician who fitted it to come and sort it out but I can't get in touch with him - I don't really want to get another firm in because I'm afraid of them using it as a sales opportunity and don't know who to trust.

Has anybody got any ideas what the problem might be or what else I could check for.

Yes I've got a test meter - BTW - I should have mentioned my level of competence - I'm not an electrician - just an amateur - I'm far from expert but I can run a spur and stuff like that as long as I have clear instructions.

Just got the test meter from Maplins a few days ago - they were doing a 2 for 1 offer.

No - all was calm and tranquil - My wife and I we're sat on the patio having a cup of tea - Infact, nothing was happening to have "caused" it. That's why I'm a bit puzzled by it.

As far as I understand it, the tamper circuit is wired in series, and if that circuit is broken anywhere, that will set off the tamper warning. The only thing I can think of is that one of the sensors have developed a fault or a loose wire - I intend to take the covers off the PIr's today and check the wires are all secured. As for the test meter I presume I can use that to test the circuit but I'm not sure how.

Solved it - I've just gone round all the pirs checking the tamper connections - the last one I checked, one of the screws for the tamper wires had a bit of a turn left in it (it wasn't lose but turning the screw fractionally seemed to do the trick) - thought it must be something simple.

Sorry to have wasted your time. I know it's daft but I didn't think of checking all the connections yesterday - didn't expect them to come loose.

Thanks

John

hello john..

firstly you have not wasted anybodies time, we are here of our own free will, and are happy to help and advise if we can.

secondly if the pirs are 17 yrs old it may well be time to think about changing them, they have had a good run.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Guest anguscanplay

good man - a little bit of applied logic can sort most things see

at least you didnt start the " im not diy im a ...................." argument lol

• 2 weeks later...

First of all thank you for your kind replies - they are much appreciated.

Just to update you - I thought the loose wire had solved it but later that day it went off again. I decided that as the sensors were 17 or so years old and I was certain the fault lay with one of them, I would replace them (only 5 so not a major expense - got some Honeywell ones from Screwfix - cost in total

Guest BellMan371
First of all thank you for your kind replies - they are much appreciated.

Just to update you - I thought the loose wire had solved it but later that day it went off again. I decided that as the sensors were 17 or so years old and I was certain the fault lay with one of them, I would replace them (only 5 so not a major expense - got some Honeywell ones from Screwfix - cost in total

Archived