Security Installer Community

Bt Inspiration

Julesp

Could anyone offer a solution to this problem...

You can make an internal call to the kitchen, but if you try to call internally or externally from the kitchen you can't???? how do you fix this?

Having one of those days.....we deal with panasonic but suddenly all our maintenance customers are throwing BT problems at us! ARRRGH

Could anyone offer a solution to this problem...

You can make an internal call to the kitchen, but if you try to call internally or externally from the kitchen you can't???? how do you fix this?

Having one of those days.....we deal with panasonic but suddenly all our maintenance customers are throwing BT problems at us! ARRRGH

Sounds like bar all calls function is on?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Sounds like bar all calls function is on?

Apparently there were two lines moved from the site to their estate office. Leaving only 1 line on the sytem in question. The kitchen phone is a cordless, is it possible it's trying to pick up from a now none exsistying line?

Apparently there were two lines moved from the site to their estate office. Leaving only 1 line on the sytem in question. The kitchen phone is a cordless, is it possible it's trying to pick up from a now none exsistying line?

Try here for tech info BT

Is there a dial tone on the cordless handset? Is the cordless handset base just a charger or is it plugged into the phone socket? If it's just a charger there will be a base driving it somewhere?

More info required to help you anymore..... :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

The BT Inspiration is a pretty simple and reliable old switch:

It is not call barring problem as you cannot bar internal calls on this system.

Don't bother contacting BT as no BT maintenance contract, no support - Inspiration is a discontinued product as well.

So Kitchen phone is a cordless, when making internal call to kitchen extn number - phone rings/works ok.

But cordless phone cannot dial out internally or externally?

Suggest try an alternative phone - basic SLT etc to eliminate phone problem.

Extn port may be faulty, no DTMF receiver etc so cannot dial out - what happens when you try to dial 9 (do you get dialtone), what happens when you try to call internal extension (i.e. 20, 21 etc)?

The kitchen phone is a cordless, is it possible it's trying to pick up from a now none exsistying line?

Could be, removing a line without disabling the trunk port in programming would cause intermittent call failure as the BT Inspiration selects trunks in a cyclic order.

You can direct trunk select the required line by dialling 5 + the line number 1-8 (i.e. 51 or 52) in place of the 9.

However this problem would not affect the users ability to dial internal telephone numbers.

regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

It is not call barring problem as you cannot bar internal calls on this system.

Don't bother contacting BT as no BT maintenance contract, no support - Inspiration is a discontinued product as well.

So Kitchen phone is a cordless, when making internal call to kitchen extn number - phone rings/works ok.

But cordless phone cannot dial out internally or externally?

Suggest try an alternative phone - basic SLT etc to eliminate phone problem.

Extn port may be faulty, no DTMF receiver etc so cannot dial out - what happens when you try to dial 9 (do you get dialtone), what happens when you try to call internal extension (i.e. 20, 21 etc)?

Could be, removing a line without disabling the trunk port in programming would cause intermittent call failure as the BT Inspiration selects trunks in a cyclic order.

You can direct trunk select the required line by dialling 5 + the line number 1-8 (i.e. 51 or 52) in place of the 9.

However this problem would not affect the users ability to dial internal telephone numbers.

regards

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Will get some more information from the service engineer thats been dealing with the job. It's not a system we would normally deal with but think the owner is friend of the big boss. I've booked him to go back first week in July, so hopefully plenty time to help my engineer get familiar with the system.

Thanks Simon,

Will get some more information from the service engineer thats been dealing with the job. It's not a system we would normally deal with but think the owner is friend of the big boss. I've booked him to go back first week in July, so hopefully plenty time to help my engineer get familiar with the system.

Thanks Simon,

Aaargh monday mornings!

We recently installed an Inspiration and I agree with what Simon says, configureation is menu driven and fairly straight forward.

However as you seem to be up to speed on this switch, I wonder if you can help with a problem we are having.

Timers! The system we installed is VERY slow at releasing trunks when the call clears down.

Line led stays light for what seems an age. Also on inbound calls, the extensions will ring out for two or three rings after the caller has hung up.

Is there a menu for the timers, as we haven't found it.

We recently installed an Inspiration and I agree with what Simon says, configureation is menu driven and fairly straight forward.

However as you seem to be up to speed on this switch, I wonder if you can help with a problem we are having.

Timers! The system we installed is VERY slow at releasing trunks when the call clears down.

Line led stays light for what seems an age. Also on inbound calls, the extensions will ring out for two or three rings after the caller has hung up.

Is there a menu for the timers, as we haven't found it.

This is basic telecoms really with any phone system - disconnect clear times on your lines.

You need to match the system to the BT DCT which nowadays is normally at 100m/s unless specifically requested otherwise

Luckily the Inspiration makes this simple for you - go into your PSTN Line Setting and change the Guarded Clear setting for each affected line, I would imagine that the Guarded setting is on at the moment for a 500m/s DCT from BT - knock it off (Unguarded - 100m/s ) and line release and ringing cleardown problem should go away.

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

This is basic telecoms really with any phone system - disconnect clear times on your lines.

You need to match the system to the BT DCT which nowadays is normally at 100m/s unless specifically requested otherwise

Luckily the Inspiration makes this simple for you - go into your PSTN Line Setting and change the Guarded Clear setting for each affected line, I would imagine that the Guarded setting is on at the moment for a 500m/s DCT from BT - knock it off (Unguarded - 100m/s ) and line release and ringing cleardown problem should go away.

Regards

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

Thanks for that Simon, worked a treat, must have missed that option in the set up, but customer is happy now.

cheers!

Thanks for that Simon, worked a treat, must have missed that option in the set up, but customer is happy now.

cheers!

If you put an answerphone directly onto the trunk, by removing guarded clear can cause faults with the answerphone. the anserphone takes the call, the system 'sees the line go clear' , and then 'clears' the line it self, ending the call.

I had this problem a little while ago when a customer changed there answerphone from one make to another. One make seemed to work fine directly onto the trunk, but the other cleared calls after the outgoing announcement.

Answerphones on a trunk are never a great idea, but the customer decided to plug it in themself directly into the NTE - Shame it is so difficult to get hold of the NTE5a lower half blanks!

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

If you put an answerphone directly onto the trunk, by removing guarded clear can cause faults with the answerphone. the anserphone takes the call, the system 'sees the line go clear' , and then 'clears' the line it self, ending the call.

I had this problem a little while ago when a customer changed there answerphone from one make to another. One make seemed to work fine directly onto the trunk, but the other cleared calls after the outgoing announcement.

Answerphones on a trunk are never a great idea, but the customer decided to plug it in themself directly into the NTE - Shame it is so difficult to get hold of the NTE5a lower half blanks!

Put the answer machine on an extension set to answer in night service is the normal way - might get a bit of tone etc after the call has ended or th older method is night service switch 2a - to knock the line off the pbx and directly onto the answer machine.

Simon

ToneTel Telecom

www.tonetel.co.uk

Archived