Security Installer Community

cat 5 cctv cable

Guest Adrian

Guest Adrian

B) Hi all

Doing my 1st quote for a 6 camera system, I,m thinking of using cat 5 cctv cable.

what I would like to do is run the cable from the set up to the 1st camera about 30meters then loop out to the second camera as its another 45meters further on.

my question is can I loop in and out as on an alarm, what type of conecters would be best suited for this type of cable (Cat 5)

My other question is what range can I run power down this cable.

It would need to power the housing that draws 250mA and the camera that is 200mA at a distance of say no more than 50m for the 1st one and 100m for the second one.

Note I will be using seperate pairs for each camera, and seperate pairs for the power to each camera.

Also will the psu need to be a much higher rating for the 450mA being drawn for each camera given the distance from the set up (max 100m)

Thanks for your help people

Adrian B)

When you say power Adrian, i am sure you mean 12v dc, in which case yes, you could use cat5 for 12v dc or 24v ac.

I would use alarm cable myself and use a seperate cable for each camera and a seperate psu or a boxed psu with seperate fused putputs. I wouldnt loop in and out unless i had no other option.

Unless of course your thinking of sending the video down the cat5 also, but for such short runs thats not cost effective.

For connectors i assume you mean for jointing the cat5, well, solder it! Basically you can join it anyway you like, i prefer solder.

If your going to power the camera and the heater from the same source (not best practice) then i would make sure you have at least 1A per location.

I think its elmdene that do a 12vdc 8 way 500ma psu, 2 of those and your covered, 1 psu for the cameras and 1 for the heaters. If its 24vac you will have to shop about as i couldnt say if you can do the same for sure.

Hope that helps.

Guest Adrian

B) thanks for the replys people,

I will be using buluns, I think I might be best to run one cat 5 to each camera posistion, and use seperate pairs for video, camera power and the heater power along with more psu's.(yes I,m going to use 12v for the lot)

Peter I would love to put the PSU,s local to the cameras but as I 'm not a spark and the building is runing a 3 phase mains supply I,m not happy to deal with that bit at this stage. So I thought I could get away with using the bank of spare sockets near where the set up is going.

Theres a storage cuby next to the sockets so I can run all my cables into there and keep it all nice and tidy.

Adrian B)

Ahhh ....its a lot clearer now.

A cat5 unshielded twisted pair will do the job, as you say 1 cable per location.

Just make sure you over spec the PSU's and you will be fine.

I still think it will be cheaper to use coax for short runs.

RG59 is good for 300mtrs max so anything less than that really, it all depends on the situation.

However thats not totally the issue, its the cost of the cable and installation time against the cost of the baluns. After all, you still have to run the cat5 the same distance.

If your running 6 coaxials and 6 alarm cables all the same way then yes cat5 would probably be cheaper as you could pull all 6 at the same time whereas the coax and alarm cable would probably need 2 pulls, if you see what i mean.

I am assuming that they aint all the same way and you cant use existing cat5 cable so i suspect if you cost it, coax and alarm cable for power will be cheaper than cat5 and baluns.

Maybe a good point to note Adrian, if your running cables in a factory and you cant avoid running alongside the mains cables then baluns will be a better bet

Guest Adrian
Maybe a good point to note Adrian, if your running cables in a factory and you cant avoid  running alongside the mains cables then baluns will be a better bet

B) ian

My thoughts as well on that last bit,

I,ve stuggled many times in the past because some kind person thought he would bung all his mains cables on top of the RG59 that I spent hours trying to keep away from everything else. from my understanding cat 5 will be more resiliant from the above problem.

Adrian B)

Provided you use UNSHIELDED twisted pair then the baluns will filter out any noise the cables may pick up. Still keep them away from mains cables if you can.

If you havent used baluns before check out the NVT web site, they have a great

learning section.

Archived