Security Installer Community

Fixing Housings To Sheet / Corrugated Metal Building

Hooner

Ow doooo....

Great board, been browsing for some time now and finally have a question that I cant find an answer to.

I've got to fix some cameras in external housings onto an industrial unit ..bottom couple of meters are brick the rest up is this sheet metal corrugated stuff.

This is the sort of thing, I'm talking about:

industrial_8.jpg

Can anyone recommend some alternative fixings to save getting the ladders up on both sides (inside and out) and having to use nuts and bolts on the job ... or is this the only way?

Thanks in advance

Hooner

Guest anguscanplay

hi

we have used the same fixings as the sheets are fastened with - straight through but must hit one of the metal supports to fix a flat sheet then fixed the camera to that with the fixings - it moves less than if the camers was fixed straight to the skin

angus

hi

we have used the same fixings as the sheets are fastened with - straight through but must hit one of the metal supports to fix a flat sheet then fixed the camera to that with the fixings - it moves less than if the camers was fixed straight to the skin

angus

As Angus said. But if a support is not available where you want to mount the cam, attach a metal "plate" to the corrugated sheet. (We had some steel plate cut to size which we paint to match the colour of the building ;) ) Or you'll find that with the weight of the bracket and housing the install will sag, and move about in the wind.

Ow doooo....

Great board, been browsing for some time now and finally have a question that I cant find an answer to.

I've got to fix some cameras in external housings onto an industrial unit ..bottom couple of meters are brick the rest up is this sheet metal corrugated stuff.

industrial_8.jpg

Can anyone recommend some alternative fixings to save getting the ladders up on both sides (inside and out) and having to use nuts and bolts on the job ... or is this the only way?

Thanks in advance

Hooner

As already said use some self drilling roof sheeting bolts through to one of the purlins inside, just fixing to the tin is a no no as it will wobble for ever!

The metel plate is the way to go as it bridges the corragations (spelling?) on the sheets, we always used aluminium plates about 3mm thick and didn't paint them as they look ok as is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Guest anguscanplay
As already said use some self drilling roof sheeting bolts through to one of the purlins inside, just fixing to the tin is a no no as it will wobble for ever!

The metel plate is the way to go as it bridges the corragations (spelling?) on the sheets, we always used aluminium plates about 3mm thick and didn't paint them as they look ok as is.

that was the word i couldnt remember " purlins " thanks luggsey

Ow doooo....

industrial_8.jpg

Thanks in advance

Hooner

Depends how heavy the housings are:-

For domes I tend to use threaded rod through the building and secured using nuts and penny washers on the rear.

For light housings I use plasterboard toggle fixings. Just mark your housing fixings holes onto the sheet. Drill the 12-14mm holes. Assemble the 3-4 toggle fixings and then push them through and fasten. You may think this fixing is flimsy but I promise you they are not. I hung off one once (with the lifter just below) and I am 17 stone! Be careful some units will have insulation foam in between sheets, you just need to take some of it out.

cheers

Dave

I tend to use the same as Sparky169, the cladders tend to drop them everywhere anyway, so I have been collecting them over the years!

I have also used toggle bolts in the past with no problems, their just a bit fiddly for my liking. Something heavy like a dome, I would tend to fix with threaded rod and nuts/washers as mentioned, or a bit of unistrut.

Archived