Security Installer Community

Sterling 10 Lcd Top Line Black

mish78

Hi,

I have a sterling 10 LCD control panel that was and i hope is working fine but the top line of text is black ( like the contrast is set to max ) and the botom line is empty. I took the back of the main box to see if i could get access to the potentiometer through the wall but i coulndt see it. I did see the nvm reset and wondered if that may help.. has anyone got any ideas or do i need a new control panel?? I cant even find out how many times i would need to press the down arrow to get to set back light.

Hi,

I have a sterling 10 LCD control panel that was and i hope is working fine but the top line of text is black ( like the contrast is set to max ) and the botom line is empty. I took the back of the main box to see if i could get access to the potentiometer through the wall but i coulndt see it. I did see the nvm reset and wondered if that may help.. has anyone got any ideas or do i need a new control panel?? I cant even find out how many times i would need to press the down arrow to get to set back light.

i just tried to open the actual control panel and the alarm went off. take it that was the tamper switch..i`m guessing u need the engineers code to stop that so how do u get access to the ptentiometer...???

Guest anguscanplay
Hi,

i just tried to open the actual control panel and the alarm went off. take it that was the tamper switch..i`m guessing u need the engineers code to stop that so how do u get access to the ptentiometer...???

what makes you think its the contrast?

better guess is youve recently had a power cut

as Angus suggests most likely result of a power cut.

the keypad has a small microprosser as doe's the main panel, if they get out of synch then data corruption occurs and so display errors. the remmedy is to replace to battery and cold start, ie power off the system mains at the spur, disconnect old battery, mains back on connect new battery close lid, enter customer code to silence alarm.

alls well job done.

it has to be said openning the lid may expose you to a lethal mains voltage potential, also a risk of injury from a falling battery. so as always it is the best advice to call in a competant engineer, mainly because it 's just worth the 'entry fee' as so very funny to watch a 'trained pro' jiggle about having received an electric shock, or swearing profusly and hoping around having dropped the dud battery on his foot or head.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
Hi,

really trust me its a job for someone who knows what they are doing

ring two or three local firms and describe the problem - there is a similar thread on the forum asking about this panel dont be suprised if some firms dont want to take a look at it - i wouldnt - but it isnt nessesarily a write off yet

thanks for the replies, they are a great help.

Would i be right in saying i could disconnect all power to my house through the fusebox - check the connections with a multimeter then disconnect the battery and reconnect the batt and then power again. I have been tinkering with the oven ( the element blew, then relised the thermostat has gone to but thats a duifferent forum ) so the power has been off and on for a bit recently which may have corrupted the display as you mentioned. Also is there a back up battery in the actuall siren box and if so when i reapply the battery - then mains will the normal code stop the alarm ( does the NVm thing remember this?? ).

I am hoping the batterys not completely gone as it stll beeps when there is no power to the alarm.

Or have i got it all completely wrong. :(

If you could also tell me why all my electrical equipment decides to break at the same time it would be great LOL

i might be mistaken about with this panel, but as with several others it may need mains applied 1st before battery.

if your battery is older than 2 - 3 years a new one is very advisable. even if 'good', restarting the panel on a partially discharged battery will most likely result in the same or other faults being displayed.

you should not need to turn the whole supply off as there should be an unswitched fused spur adjacent or near the control panel, but you asking this question sounds alarm bells in my head, so please with all due respect call in a competant engineer for your safety as well as others, also our peace of mind.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
really trust me its a job for someone who knows what they are doing

ring two or three local firms and describe the problem - there is a similar thread on the forum asking about this panel dont be suprised if some firms dont want to take a look at it - i wouldnt - but it isnt nessesarily a write off yet

take the best piece of advice you will recieve this year - stop " mending " electrical items and get a proffesional in as it says below ............

Archived