Security Installer Community

Changing A Detector

durham

are you sealing up the garage door?

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Guest anguscanplay
We have an alarm systm that was intalled by the house builder 6 years ago (no idea of make/model). We are chaning the garage into a room, and received a quote for

Yes the garage door is being sealed up, part brick and with a new window.

we didn't get a quote from anyone else as it was a last minute realisation that the main alarm box was probably in the way.

In the worst case scenario I was prepared to put the magnetic detector on the new window, just they don't look very good, and obviously it sounds that I was being naive in hoping I could just fit a glass breakage or PIR instead.

I don't think that there is anyting wrong with the system as it is (magentic detector off garage door dangling in a corner with two bits taped together) as it when armed the panel has no fault lights and arms as normal.

Is it as easy as fitting something else and it will all work, or do I need an engineer after all?

Not necessarily is the answer.

4 wires suggests that it probably had 2 circuits in the cable to the garage door - alarm and tamper. This would be appropriate for a door sensor. These are usually NC (normally closed) so just connecting the ends together (in the correct pairs) imitates a non-triggered device.

BUT some devices (e.g. PIR's) need power as well - so 6-core (or 8) is usually used.

But who knows how it was wired - if there's no tamper circuit and one pair actually does have power, or you just get the pairs wrong, you could blow a fuse........... :whistle:

And if you actually want a PIR in the new room the old 4-core cable won't do.

Overall the best bet is to decide what you want and, as others have suggested, get an engineer in to finalise, check and service the system. Hopefully for a lot less than

Guest anguscanplay
Yes the garage door is being sealed up, part brick and with a new window.

we didn't get a quote from anyone else as it was a last minute realisation that the main alarm box was probably in the way.

In the worst case scenario I was prepared to put the magnetic detector on the new window, just they don't look very good, and obviously it sounds that I was being naive in hoping I could just fit a glass breakage or PIR instead.

I don't think that there is anyting wrong with the system as it is (magentic detector off garage door dangling in a corner with two bits taped together) as it when armed the panel has no fault lights and arms as normal.

hi

asuming the system has never been checked at six years old its getting very close to needing a new battery too

it may be better to fit a sensor in the new room as there is now a window but without knowing the panel - and its doubtful if it was a builder fit - you would probably need a six core cable to do the addition correctly

dont rely on the fact it sets as prove its working

angus

But who knows how it was wired - if there's no tamper circuit and one pair actually does have power, or you just get the pairs wrong, you could blow a fuse........... :whistle:

And if you actually want a PIR in the new room the old 4-core cable won't do.

Thanks for everyones advice, it's most welcome.

Inside the main box the cable from the garage sensor there are 4 wires, yellow and red wire into zone 4 terminals on the board, the black and blue wire into a terminal block where they join with wires from other zones in pairs.

Thanks for everyones advice, it's most welcome.

Inside the main box the cable from the garage sensor there are 4 wires, yellow and red wire into zone 4 terminals on the board, the black and blue wire into a terminal block where they join with wires from other zones in pairs.

that is standard wiring, as angus has said for a proper job you need a 6 core cable.

the other problem is should you discard the tamper and use those wires for power, the zone may not be best programmed for your needs, ie for part set or full set, it might be an exit entry zone giving a delay in activation of bells should an intruder break in.

given the controls needed moving for the extension, they can't be that far from where the detector would be best placed so you could run in a cable to the panel, i think you still best to get a couple of quotes and have it done properly.

Regs

Alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

where abouts in durham are you?

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Archived