Security Installer Community

Can I Use Twisted Pair Telephone Cable With Baluns?

Alexg

Guys,

I have a 6 core twisted pair telephone cable to the location where I want to put a speed dome.

The cable is not being used and goes right back to where the DVR is, it wasn't put in for this purpose but its spare and would be a LOT easier than pulling in a new cable through the underground duct, the run is about 35 meters.

Can I use 1 of the pairs with a balun for video and use another pair for telemetry? or will it just not work with telephone cable and have to be cat.5 instead?

The Dome is the top of the range one in the planet catalogue.

Note. 240v is present at dome location so the cable is just for video and ptz.

Guest Sparky169
Guys,

I have a 6 core twisted pair telephone cable to the location where I want to put a speed dome.

The cable is not being used and goes right back to where the DVR is, it wasn't put in for this purpose but its spare and would be a LOT easier than pulling in a new cable through the underground duct, the run is about 35 meters.

Can I use 1 of the pairs with a balun for video and use another pair for telemetry? or will it just not work with telephone cable and have to be cat.5 instead?

as long as its copper and solid NOT twisted cores i would say it should be ok :yes:

give it a try, you have nothing to lose except time, and if it does not work and it is spare then you can at least use it to pull the correct wire thought with.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Guest Sparky169
give it a try, you have nothing to lose except time, and if it does not work and it is spare then you can at least use it to pull the correct wire thought with.

The only thing that may be different is the amount of twists in the cable or actual size of conductor but it won't have any harm trying it.

is it in ducting im assuming that it is.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Hope your enjoying your easter weekend!

Ok, I've just hooked up a spare Ultrak KD6 dome I had in my workshop, I've mounted it at the end of my garden and used 40 meters of tel cable to run it to the house, I've used 1 pair for telemetry and 1 pair for video (Didn't have any baluns so just joined it to the coax) I get full ptz control, it doesnt have any detrimental effects on the speed using phone cable, success! the picture is rubbish, but thats to be expected, just need to find out if baluns will work over this now.

It works with this dome, doesn't nessairly mean it will work with the Planet one though I guess?

Any idea what protocol the KD6 dome uses? want to hook it upto my DVR

Guys,

I have done the above with Beldon and that works ok.

Guest Sparky169

Ok, I've just hooked up a spare Ultrak KD6 dome I had in my workshop, I've mounted it at the end of my garden and used 40 meters of tel cable to run it to the house, I've used 1 pair for telemetry and 1 pair for video (Didn't have any baluns so just joined it to the coax) I get full ptz control, it doesnt have any detrimental effects on the speed using phone cable, success! the picture is rubbish, but thats to be expected, just need to find out if baluns will work over this now.

It works with this dome, doesn't nessairly mean it will work with the Planet one though I guess?

i think the protcol is one from the manufacturers own code not a published one :hmm:

Hi

KD6 Domes telemetry is via the dip switches on dome pcb, think default is either Pelco C or D as most domes are.

Just try DVR on PELCO C, baud rate 2100 or 9600 then the same of PELCO D.

If that fails give us the DVR make and KD6 model number.

cheers.

Guest Sparky169
Hi

KD6 Domes telemetry is via the dip switches on dome pcb, think default is either Pelco C or D as most domes are.

Just try DVR on PELCO C, baud rate 2100 or 9600 then the same of PELCO D.

If that fails give us the DVR make and KD6 model number.

cheers.

i do believe theres no such telemetry code as pelco C :no:

PELCO P is what you may mean just id clarify for members viewing this topic.

Archived