Security Installer Community

Ip Cams

Phil Sumner

Have many of you have used IP cams in a reasonable sized installation? I mean not your corner shop with 1 or 2 cams covering tills or a small domestic installation.

I'm interested in knowing how it went for you - is the service and are the cameras reliable? Are you using cameras on a LAN or going through the internet/ADSL/cable connection? Was the setup easy? What equipment have you used?

The main reason I ask is that I can see some definite advantages to IP cams but I can see several potential downsides in setting it up and maintaining it. DM haven't yet released IP cam support fully - beta software with this support is on the partners section of the website - but I want to know from a support perspective what kind of issues you might have had in setting it up, perhaps to make life easier in the long run.

If anyone's willing to share their tales of joy or tales of woe, drop me a line here by PM or reply to this thread. Thanks!

--

psumner@dmicros.com

Manufacturer

Have many of you have used IP cams in a reasonable sized installation? I mean not your corner shop with 1 or 2 cams covering tills or a small domestic installation.

I'm interested in knowing how it went for you - is the service and are the cameras reliable? Are you using cameras on a LAN or going through the internet/ADSL/cable connection? Was the setup easy? What equipment have you used?

The main reason I ask is that I can see some definite advantages to IP cams but I can see several potential downsides in setting it up and maintaining it. DM haven't yet released IP cam support fully - beta software with this support is on the partners section of the website - but I want to know from a support perspective what kind of issues you might have had in setting it up, perhaps to make life easier in the long run.

If anyone's willing to share their tales of joy or tales of woe, drop me a line here by PM or reply to this thread. Thanks!

16 cam's (axis 210), only problem was verizon - they were playing with switches without me knowing about it and i was wondering why does the cameras disappear from the LAN..

if you're familiar with IP there is no problems.

oh - and i used seetec as a video management software.

I've done a 20 camera system at a data centre, based around Axis IP cams comprising of:

15 x Axis 216FD-V

5 x Axis 213PTZ

Axis Camera Station Software

All camera's where networked through a dedicated Layer 2 switch, which in turn was connected to a 1000Mbit fibre backbone. System has full remote view, via PC, PDA, Mobile. Doddle to set install and set-up.

Done about 30 Sony cams at a school, all using PoE, all home run back to their own hubs and on their own servers, running Sony Realshot Manager. Very Expensive, limited (sort of) to the 100m rule (apart from the externals run in fibre) and a real pain in the butt to setup.

Funny thing is they needed some more covert cams with audio, so we fitted a Pelco DVR with covert smokes and connected that to the network, they are so much more impressed with the conventional gear that there is now another DVR and about another 20 normal cameras.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Done about 30 Sony cams at a school, all using PoE, all home run back to their own hubs and on their own servers, running Sony Realshot Manager. Very Expensive, limited (sort of) to the 100m rule (apart from the externals run in fibre) and a real pain in the butt to setup.

Funny thing is they needed some more covert cams with audio, so we fitted a Pelco DVR with covert smokes and connected that to the network, they are so much more impressed with the conventional gear that there is now another DVR and about another 20 normal cameras.

Covert video and audio recording in a school: nasty!!

Ilkie

Covert video and audio recording in a school: nasty!!

Ilkie

Why??

Schools are full of cameras these days and many of them are going for IP too...and some are now regretting due traffic causing meltdown on the servers.

...all home run back to their own hubs ...

sounds like a diy project then (if you are still using hubs).

we call (usually) sparkies (and filth that exists) as cowboys but at the same time some of us do IP cctv systems without having a clue about the transmission medium.

shamed? i bet you are not but i would gladly see you IP cowboys to shut up when you see an IAS cowboy.

no id have to agree with convential coax installs on any installation for cctv coax all the way i wont touch ip cctv with a barge pole.

cheers

sparky169

hey all you IP cctv COWBOYS!!!

this man knows what he has to learn before he is going to touch it! i bet you know as well but just don't care!! if you don't then a florist or something like that suite you better as a profession.

Why??

Schools are full of cameras these days and many of them are going for IP too...and some are now regretting due traffic causing meltdown on the servers.

In my opinion

First, IP cameras should only be run on their own dedicated network. The risk of other people to disconnect them is too high, as well as problems that the CCTV system can bring to the network, as you quite rightly say.

Second, Covert video in any public area is asking for trouble operationally, because at some point something will be recorded that will be embarrassing for the client, and if it gets out??

Third, recording audio? I would not like to be the one to explain to the staff and parents, Oh by the way we have hidden cameras that can be anywhere in the school and in addition the hidden microphones will also be recording your conversations!

Covert has it's uses, for a specific investigation, (when the camera should be removed after the investigation is completed) but the use of permanently installed coverts is a no no.

Ilkie

Archived