Security Installer Community

Call Sign Identification

eor01

Hi Guy's,

Be nice to me. :)

We have BT's Call Sign on our phone, however with the wireless phones we use, they don't give different ring tones to identify the 'call sign' calls. We don't want to go down the road of using a BT TwinTalk Line Sharer device and a seperate set of phones.

The only way we currently know we have a "call sign" call is we still have a mechanical bell installed, but.... most of the household being tone deaf (or something like that) can rarely tell the difference!

What I had in mind of doing, was to build a timing circuit to measure the ring pulses, then when it detects the extra long pulse, to activate a relay to supply a sound bomb or something like that (with its own PSU). I don't expect I'm the first to encounter this problem, so I expect there's something out there already to do this simple task?

Can anyone point me in the direction of something in the market already please?

Or...

Point me towards some circuits to make the above (I appreciate there may be legality issues here)?

Thanks in advance for taking an interest in my post and any help given :)

I have same problem - however I noticed the tone on the base station is the call sign tone whereas the handsets don't work like normal phone ringers, so turn down the volume on the handset ringers and turn up the volume on the base station ringer. Of course your phones might behave differently than mine but it works for me.

Not perfect of course as you have to remember where the handsets are as they dont ring anymore! (or only ring at low volume)

I have same problem - however I noticed the tone on the base station is the call sign tone whereas the handsets don't work like normal phone ringers, so turn down the volume on the handset ringers and turn up the volume on the base station ringer. Of course your phones might behave differently than mine but it works for me.

Not perfect of course as you have to remember where the handsets are as they dont ring anymore! (or only ring at low volume)

Our base station has no 'ringer' so not an option

EOR1 have you tried using the call sign filters. Unfortunately the different type of candesence on the ring will not be supported by most digital phones as they only pick up on the fact the ac voltage has been supplied to the ring circuit to the phone, the phone then generates its own ring.

EOR1 have you tried using the call sign filters. Unfortunately the different type of candesence on the ring will not be supported by most digital phones as they only pick up on the fact the ac voltage has been supplied to the ring circuit to the phone, the phone then generates its own ring.

Thanks for your reply :)

I haven't tried any filters. Forgive my lack of knowledge of these devices, but wouldn't these divert the call to another internal line, so would need additional phones. Or could just the bell be plugged in to the diverted line, but still answer on the original line?

Thanks

Steve

Thanks for your reply :)

I haven't tried any filters. Forgive my lack of knowledge of these devices, but wouldn't these divert the call to another internal line, so would need additional phones. Or could just the bell be plugged in to the diverted line, but still answer on the original line?

Thanks

Steve

No, you can't do that.

I use the Twintalk filters and they're very good, but they isolate from each other so it's like having 2 incoming lines; you need 2 phones at least (one for each number) and you can't pick up one from the other. They also isolate outgoing calls - pick up a phone on filter A and filter B is isolated - so no listening in!

This is exactly what I need; I use it to have a "home" number and a "business" number with separate answering machines and handsets but only pay slightly more than one line rental.

It also works fine with Broadband (at 2MB) though I've had some indication that 8MB equipment may be incompatible at present.

No, you can't do that.

I use the Twintalk filters and they're very good, but they isolate from each other so it's like having 2 incoming lines; you need 2 phones at least (one for each number) and you can't pick up one from the other. They also isolate outgoing calls - pick up a phone on filter A and filter B is isolated - so no listening in!

This is exactly what I need; I use it to have a "home" number and a "business" number with separate answering machines and handsets but only pay slightly more than one line rental.

It also works fine with Broadband (at 2MB) though I've had some indication that 8MB equipment may be incompatible at present.

Hi,

I'm trying to avoid having more clutter, so a second set of phone is not really an ideal way to go. Hence seeking some way of triggering a specific bell/sounder.

I'm suprised there isn't a bit of kit out there, which is capable of this?

Whilst typing, just had a thought... plug in a two way adaptor to the master socket, run all the phones from one socket, then the other to a fax diverter and plug the new bell/sounder in to that. Any reason why this won't work?

BTW I have BB on the same line (2mb)

Thanks

Steve

Archived