Security Installer Community

Pet Sensitive Alarms

CraigM

hi all,

given these dogs will be massive eventually, in the past i have installed a pair of standard PIR's, both with masked off lower area len's. one with center zones masked off, the other with side zones masked off, then used zone pairing, this used to work for homes with several cats (one with 3 boxers) before pet resistant unit's came out.

if you got a couple of old pir's, try it out for yourselves.

it's ok to say to a client restrict the animals if they can, but so many do so much property damage if confined, it could be cheaper in that situation to be burgled, at least the insurance pay up then :rolleyes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

mjw, you might have seen a few 'pet alley' lens pir mounted at waist height but they were far from ideal and only worked if cats didnt clibs, or dogs jump on the sofa look out the window etc. I have only once in my career seen a pir mounted upside down, and this was to cover a staircase from the hall!!! DIY install BTW

never once said it was ideal in fact far from it...oh and by the way this was way before pet alleys were on the market!!!!!!!!!!!...and i think you will find they would have worked perfectly well if the cats had climbed and that is exactaly my point no such thing as a true pet immune detector all of them have a problem they cannot tell the difference between a large cat or a burglar...point is animals and burglar alarms do not really go together :whistle:

well well well, quite a debate here without me :whistle: lol firstly American Bulldog female can grow up to 20 stones or sommat close, the males can get to 24stones in size, and they are around 20 inch high.

omg, what a size, i have a 9 stone dotty rotty, her favourit party trick is to walk up go all lovey dovey and release her wind very loudly, she is only 9 stone but very 'effective' at clearing the room and most of the house, i dread to think what happens @ 24 stone.

i think these dogs at this size will defeat most conventional pet resistant movement detectors. if they are not inclined to jump up then barrier rays set a a certain hieght may be an option, both externlly and internally. one other thought i have is radio fobs designed to operate alarm system on some kit, can be programmed to activate if that fob is if out of range (you could teach them to use the pab option if an attempt is made :P ), so might be used as a form of tagging system, could only be concidered as secondary though.

you do need 'on site' advice from an experienced and lateral thinking engineer, as Paul says you best option is a registered company, but i don't think there will be a cheap option (no matter who you use).

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

you COULD also mount a conventional pir at waist height up side down :rolleyes:

Old School !!! Long time since i've seen that done, but it used to be v. common. It worked if sited properly though, proper perimiter protection (vipers, contacts and glassbreak sensors) is what you need though.

well i aint bothered that you are all debating, thats what a forum is for, i run one myself on behalf of my gf who makes graphical tags for chat sites and things.

its just we have spent so much time and energy on these dogs and wish for them to be protected when we are not there, we both work, im out 12hrs at a time as i work a fair distance from home. my partner works for avon as a sales leader so she is out for 4-8hrs at a time aswell.

shame there isnt a PIR out there that can help, i mean what if they are put in the kitchen and the sensors are in the living room and the landing upstairs, would that be a better idea and then door sensors on the back and front door?

please keep discussing, im getting lots of useful info from all of you, there is a wide range of experience here! very good :) B) :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
well i aint bothered that you are all debating, thats what a forum is for, i run one myself on behalf of my gf who makes graphical tags for chat sites and things.

its just we have spent so much time and energy on these dogs and wish for them to be protected when we are not there, we both work, im out 12hrs at a time as i work a fair distance from home. my partner works for avon as a sales leader so she is out for 4-8hrs at a time aswell.

shame there isnt a PIR out there that can help, i mean what if they are put in the kitchen and the sensors are in the living room and the landing upstairs, would that be a better idea and then door sensors on the back and front door?

please keep discussing, im getting lots of useful info from all of you, there is a wide range of experience here! very good :) B) :yes:

Hi Craig,

Basically for medium to large size animals of any type pir's are out straight away. But as you say put them in the kitchen securely, then put vibration sensors on all windows, smash glass detectors close to all windows, and door contacts on the door. Also perimiter protection with break beams. This way your false alarms should be next to none compared with pet immune pirs. it all depends how far you want to go. and how far your insurance company want to go (grade 2, grade 3???) their the ones who will have the over whelming say in you decision.

cheers

Ross

Archived