Security Installer Community

Veritas R8 Compact Power Problems

chrisblade

Hi all, I have a problem with our alarm. A few days ago, the power light started flashing and the alarm would not set. A short while later the power light went off and it looked dead. I bought a new battery for it and whilst it did power up, the power light was still flashing and it would not set although it did remember our original code. Now, the unit has gone dead again. Help!

Thanks, Chris

Hi all, I have a problem with our alarm. A few days ago, the power light started flashing and the alarm would not set. A short while later the power light went off and it looked dead. I bought a new battery for it and whilst it did power up, the power light was still flashing and it would not set although it did remember our original code. Now, the unit has gone dead again. Help!

Thanks, Chris

Hi chris, the flashing LED does indicate that panel isnt receiving power, but there could be a live at the panel, but no neutral, so if you go poking around you could get a shock. Best thing to do is get a sparky to get your power back to the panel and hopefully it should have retained its settings. If not you will need your manual and engineers code, which you might have to get from your installer

IMO he would be far better to use an alarm engineer as this is the required trade.

there are many reasons why power loss inicators may be flashing :

- fuse in connector block may have blown[if present]

- PCB fault

- fuse in spur[if present]

- or last of all a fault wit the supply [which is the only thing a spark could help with]

not having a go at anyone just think he would be better off with a alarm engineer

most of us sparkies are quite good at alarms, where as a lot of you alarm installers arent good with electricity, if it is a neutral fault, it would cause the LED to flash, as it needs live and neutral to work, but the panel would still be live inside, but would appear to be dead if you tested it across live and neutral. That is reason i said to get a sparky in. And most sparkys would check how far the power went i.e if it got to the pcb.

most alarm engineers would do the same also

Im sure most alarm installers are ok, but ive come across loads of bad workmanship over the years from some, spurs taken from the ring cct in 1.5mm cable. spurs take from immersion heater circuit, cables jointed under floor in connectors (not even taped up). I suppose they spoil it for the rest of you though.

Archived