Security Installer Community

Microsoft Vista

BASS

I couldn't make up my mind which version of Vista to get, home, home plus, business, business plus or ultimate, choice choices. An IT friend of mine gave me a RTM (release to manufacture) version so I could try them all before buying.

I bravely put the disk in my laptop (after backing up data) while XP was running and the software started to upgrade. The software asked me to enter the product key which I did and then it gave me the choice which version to install. Well being very excited about getting Vista on me laptop I opted for Ultimate and off the installation went. BIG MISTAKE!

When the software installed it booted up and it looked excellent. Tried to click on my name icon to go into the software and it asked for the product key again. I re-entered my key and it said that this key wasn't compatible with Ultimate :help: The only option it gave me was to run setup again and to install a different version. I tried to load the operating system disk but it wouldn't boot from the log in screen. Re-booted the PC and booted from the disk and there was no upgrade option, it said to upgrade you have to boot from windows, but I can't banghead. Had a sneaky thought and on the login screen, there is a link where you can ask if your software is genuine. I clicked on the button and it went to a web browser, result! Accessed the disk from the web browser and now I am cooking on gas :no:. Tried to select a lower version of Vista and was then told, you can't go from Ultimate to Home Plus :fear:

Checked on the net and this is a big issue for software developers. Many versions of RTM Vista won't allow you to run Ultimate Vista, so why put the option in there! :ranting:

Ended up re-installing a clean version of Vista from the boot disk. One very useful tip is you don't have to enter a product ID on installation, you have 30 days to put in a product and activate the software. The install went well and it even backed up my old Windows including users, documents, pics and music, nice.

Now I have gone through the pain of installing the software, I am very happy. The software checks your PC before install to identify any likely issues with drivers etc. My laptop is about two years old and it works a treat.

The graphical interface of Vista is similar to XP but has a lot of nice touches, here is my summary of things that impressed me using Home Plus:-

1. Instead of just a show desktop button, you also have a switch between windows button. The display shows you all your open windows in a diagonal cascade so you can go to the one you want.

2. If you hover the mouse over open programs on the task bar, it displays a thumbnail of the program screen .

3. Home Plus has Windows Media Centre bundled with it. Works a treat with my Xbox 360. Allows you to look at photos, videos etc from our computer on a nice big TV. Also allows all your MP3's to be streamed and organised.

4. When Vista waits for you to OK something, all the other boxes go black and white so you know what needs your attention.

5. The computer can easily be locked if you walk away from it, by clicking one button.

6. Outlook Express has gone in favour of Windows Mail, which is graphically better and has more functionality.

7. Generally more slicker using WiFi and connection to Smart Phones. I downloaded some free software from Microsoft called Windows Mobile Device Centre which basically takes over from activesync.

8. Pictures are stored in photo album looking folders and are easily viewed.

9. There are plans to sell Product keys on the net through Windows which will be excellent. Basically use the same disk to install all around the house and then just buy a product key for each one.

Well I am sold on Home Plus and have ordered my disk. Has anybody got anything to add on this especially on other versions?

cheers

Dave

Er.....this is a Security Forum and that probably would be illegal.

Unless they were suggesting that you download a non-Microsoft Freeware/Shareware OS :whistle:

Your package should contain a key that is required for installation. You will then also have to "activate" it (i.e. record it with Microsoft) or it will stop working; not sure if that's within 14 or 30 days though.

So, in summary INSTALLATION requires a valid key. ACTIVATION is required for ongoing use after the initial period. The system can be disabled at activation if Microsoft think it's a stolen key, or it can refuse to activate for a number of reasons (e.g. too many installs) though the latter can be overcome by a phone call for genuine cases.

Installation does not require a key, just press OK. You have to enter a key within 30 days and activate it.

Dave

One very useful tip is you don't have to enter a product ID on installation, you have 30 days to put in a product and activate the software.

Interesting, I don't remember if the earlier Beta's and RC's were like that (I just put the key in anyway) and it seems a strange change for Microsoft to make. I haven't actually seen the genuine production version yet, so if anyone installs it can they confirm this point please?

Interesting, I don't remember if the earlier Beta's and RC's were like that (I just put the key in anyway) and it seems a strange change for Microsoft to make. I haven't actually seen the genuine production version yet, so if anyone installs it can they confirm this point please?

Have a look at this clicky

cheers

Dave

Archived