Security Installer Community

Sky Broadband

avcctv

I have just got Sky broadband and have a slight problem.

When I connect via wireless my speed is only 600k'ish on both computers, yet when I plug in the ethernet cable direct I get 7.6meg. It's a netgear router DG834GT.

Help me

The older I get, the faster I was.

what wireless cards you using

Also, what is the wireless speed when you have the PC right next to the router?

And what's the signal strength showing in Windows?

Finally, where exactly are you reading the speed from?

Good piece of kit the DG834 range so it's unlikely to be your problem.......... :whistle:

I do on my DG834GT and get much better than 600k!

Or is there confusion between 600kB (bytes)and 600kb (bits) :whistle:

All 54mb cards but having read some forums SKY has put their own software in the router so it is a SKY thing, Oh well gives me chance to use up some cat 5.

can you falsh netgear fw into it?

Or dorce g mode?

If I change any settings it boots me off and I have to reboot it. I tried to turn off the security and it kicked me off.

my 802.11b netgear gard (on a netgear access point) would struggle to sustain 1 megabyte per second from where i use it 50% ish signal

Not that unusual, I only get good throughput on 802.11b with a strong signal. 802.11g seems much more forgiving (and faster of course) on weaker signals.

The 7 meg you say your getting is this the speed that your router is saying it is connected at?

have you tried an online speed test.

The connection that your router shows or the internet icon on your desktop if enable reports may show a higher speed especially if they have left your broadband connection uncapped while they are trying to establish your highest download speed.

try speedtest.net. my broadband always shows it connected at 2.8 but only ever get a donload speed of around 120k (1meg)

I know many people who have signed up to and cancelled their SKY broadband, its dire at the best of times, line speed and dsl throughput is completely different, you may connect at 7000KPS but if the contention ratio of sky is low, you wont get any decent bandwitch, Sky broadband, is a reseller and it is actually EASYNET, who tend to be ok as we have several leased and SDSL lines installed at several sites we have.

Sky broadband branded netgear V3 version of that router is usually set to channel 1, this tends to be incompatable with older cards for some reason, change to channel 11 and see how it goes also...

All these bandwidth online tests are rubbish, ive got around 17000KPS, and when downloading from the newsgroups with 20 connections which always peaks you connection out im getting around 1800kb/s , and the online tests say i have a 2 meg connection..... Not found a real decent one apart from Official BT tests.

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

All these bandwidth online tests are rubbish, ive got around 17000KPS, and when downloading from the newsgroups with 20 connections which always peaks you connection out im getting around 1800kb/s , and the online tests say i have a 2 meg connection..... Not found a real decent one apart from Official BT tests.

17000kbs ? assuming 1700kbs - 1800kbs. That sounds mighty high. you very close to your exchange? great contention ratio if you getting a connection like that,or are you on 18mb broadband???????.

180kb/s sounds more like 2mg or 180000b/s.

I have just got Sky broadband and have a slight problem.

When I connect via wireless my speed is only 600k'ish on both computers, yet when I plug in the ethernet cable direct I get 7.6meg. It's a netgear router DG834GT.

Help me

You may have a neighbour on the same channel causing QRM. Change channels in the router and see if that helps. Keep it Simple first and work it bit by bit. (Like that! Bit :rolleyes: )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived