Security Installer Community

Engineers Vehicles

Smoke Screen

Expert vans are nice if it's HDi, don't touch a 1.9D (My last van) unless you are in no hurry to get anywhere or you have 9 points! ;)

Connect is ok if a little bit on the small size in the back.

Astra way to small for all but service engineers.

Combo van is ok, had loads of them on my last firm, they go on and on, and on.

If I were looking for a van it would be a VW transporter, big enough for a sparks and low voltage in one package.

Or a transit, just don't reverse too fast!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

I dont its my car and a i claim 41p per mile for the 1st 10,000 and 25 there after tax free.

Sorry, didn't spot you were ltd. I bet that works well.

cheers

Dave

Two of our engineers are after Vauxhall Astravans of the diesel variety.

Previously they have had Transit Connects and we also have a LWB Transit on the fleet.

All of these have been specifically requested, but are now not appropriate according to the users.

Can anyone give some decent advice on what is a good, reliable and practical vehicle for either service engineer use, or installer?

Thanks

Matt

I drive a focus Zetec estate and will generally drive over 1000 miles a week covering the whole country i can usually carry a months stock and all the tools i need with no problams ,and can get into most multistorey car parks with ladders on.

Used to drive the astravan but it was to small and no side door! Still sitting in the works carpark with 127,000 miles on the clock and runs superb for short journeys!

Drive a Connect now and the van is slow...1.9 and no turbo. Uses a lot of diesel compared to the astra but it is comfterable to drive and that side door is a gos send.

Personnaly i would go for a Fiat Scudo or a midi size van.

!

I inherited three c15's when I purchased the co, now those that have complained in the previose posts about vans have no room to complain, Id rather eat worms than drive a c15. Fortunately we will have paid for the last two end of feb and we have already now started to replace them.

I bought the engineering manager a Vectra last year, we had an additional engineer last year and we bought a Caddy (nice van) an we bought a Connect last week.

So we have three C15s (one for sale if anyone wants one? one careful owner, see through windows, 52 reg 80k miles

We Have:

Berlingo 1.9D Its been a very reliable van but as you say a bit slow !! HDI version is not only quicker but also better on fuel !!

Fiat Scudo HDI (same as Dispatch/Expert) This came with lots of toys !! A/C, Elec windows and mirror, Front fog lamps, CD Player etc, Quick van and the two side loading doors are useful too !!

2 Mazda 6 Estates 2.0D Very nice looking cars, Drive well, Usual Jap spec climate control, Cruise control 6 speed etc, But in my opinion a bit noisy !!

Toyota Avensis 2.2D This is our second Avensis now and in my opinion a MUCH better car than the Mazda. Built like a tank, Had the T3X estate this time, No sat nav but loads of other toys. Cruise control, climate control, 6 disc CD player, Auto wipers etc etc etc,

Jaguar X type estate 2.2D A very cost effective Jag full of extra's. Bluetooth phone option never worked from day one though !!

We have two Vauxhall Combo Vans with sliding doors a must with any van now. I hate those astravans when you either have to crawl over the equipment or empty the thing to get in the back. I get the combos direct from BT so masssive savings and the vans are all newish with low milage, come with roof rack and racking already. If any one wants any info about buying from BT let me know. The vans are a 1.3 diesel but I was suprised how quick they are.

cheers

Dave

Archived