Security Installer Community

Lone Working

DAVE IN KENT

For those of you who are the boss/manager of your companies i would like to ask, if you were sending an engineer out to a job that was on an isolated site with no permanant members of staff and the potential risk of chlorine gas and phosphuric acid would you allow for two men on that site. are there any legal requirement that my employer should be adhering to? For your information staff employed by the owner of the site are required to work in pairs but as a subcontractor my employer do not seem to take any notice of this and my wife is concerned about my safety

I always thought that am Employer had a duty of care towards its Employees??....I think your best bet is to call the A.A.E.U(engineering union...think they are based in crawley??)..I know besure does'nt recognise the union but the guys at the A.A.E.U are very helpful and they will put you in touch with someone who can answer your question,

But i am with Service Engineer if you feel it's unsafe you do not do it...I mean would you drive your company van with known dodgey brakes???????????????????????

i dont think you would have much of an arguement on the gas side as long as you have got a gas detector, i expect the rooms you are working in have got their own gas detection systems(probably on signalling via telemetry).

the company you work for has got a policy that you are not aloud to be left on any job alone, you are not even aloud to work in a residentual property without the customer being present.

Trade Intruder

For those of you who are the boss/manager of your companies i would like to ask, if you were sending an engineer out to a job that was on an isolated site with no permanant members of staff and the potential risk of chlorine gas and phosphuric acid would you allow for two men on that site. are there any legal requirement that my employer should be adhering to? For your information staff employed by the owner of the site are required to work in pairs but as a subcontractor my employer do not seem to take any notice of this and my wife is concerned about my safety

Dave, are you perchance working in a southern water plant? Europlex system?

I was under the impression that the owner of a premisses were still responsible if they allowed a contractor to work on it in a way which was dangerous to there employees--they cannot dismiss there responsibility by saying it is the responsibility of the contractor !!!!

Paul.

the people that run the site he is talking about are very good with health and safety , they wouldnt let you work anywhere that was unsafe.

So it must be ok to work alone then?but why are there own people made to work in pairs as i think was mentioned--surely if there risk assessment made this necessary it should apply to contractors as well ?.

the only site i have known them to stipulate that it has to be 2 engineers was only at night and it was nothing to do with safety at the actual site it was to do with the people that hang around the site(major gay pick up area)

Trade Intruder

Archived