Security Installer Community

Windows Xp

Adi

Were you brave enough to check "issues" in ccleaner and delete what it found?

I do that regularly, but always save the backup when prompted.

Clean up got rid of a lot.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Excellent, though for normal use once a month is plenty.

Have you tried the Microsoft Registry cleaner in the Full Service scan at http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm ?

It works well, just run the scanner but choose "customise" and only run the Registry Cleaner. The other tools are OK but very slow online and you can do the same things yourself.

Nice one.

506 invalid items found

461 cleaned

45 errors.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

No surprise it don't work on Firefox I bet it used ActiveX control and we all know they are an IE only thing and so darn will easy compromise and thus make them usable for machine "trashing" - the other is a java exploit that well hmm "MS Fixed" lol...

Not much **** cleaned out then.

IF you have a proper XP CD - it will have a "KEY" with it and won't say "recovery CD" although I do know a few that are on recovery CD's that are full proper install versions of XP.

There is a Migration tool on there that will let you "backup" some of the MS stuff + others you include so you can migrate to a new machine - choices are to burn to a CD, a file on another drive such as USB pen drive or can be that 2nd hard drive - easy to fit just make sure you got a spare power cable coming from the PSU, it's set as master/slave (as required) an 40/80 pin IDE cable with a spare connector on it and you can get the system to auto dectect it.

It was not bad with Windows 3.1 - 20 disc install.

Win 95 improved it a little but not much

Win 98/98se wasn't that bad, just a few tweaks to keep it stable - MS never told ya this of course, and easy to re-install over itself.

Win ME - Let's just not go there okay IMHO 98 with annoyances.

Win 2k - nice security

Win XP - okay but ya have to nuke it every time you wanna "fix" it if it won't repair.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

:yes: unfortunatly - but it's all the apps + games you have to reinstall as well the all the patches for XP, the apps and games, device driver updates etc..

Windows is nice and stable if you don't use it at all - go Microsoft..

I actually managed to get Win98se to run for a whole month straight before I had to reset it for other reasons

It was my internet connection, ran Zone Alarm, a DC Project of some description, WinRoute Pro, Mcafee AV (before it was Security Suite - the good old plain Anti-Viral days). Had to reset as WinRoute Pro DNS system eventually gave up :rolleyes: .

Another time you need to Wipe is when you change certain components, no idea if you can use the same trick as with 98 - removing the PCI bus controller, the PnP device driver basically removing all the motherboard device drivers in 1 go allowing major hardware changes to be done - was then a case of swapping mobo's and windows "discovering" the new hardware..

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Archived