Security Installer Community

Windows Xp

Adi

This has been happening now for a while, it takes about 10 mins or more before i can use the computer properly.

Every thing loads up desktop on show ect... but takes ages to open anything in the first 10 mins or so.

During this time the hard drive is wizzing round and the red light flashing or nearly constantly on.

I thought it was AVG but according to that it isnt.

What about sygate firewall is that a bit lively on start up?

Also what about having a lot of files stored on the desk top?

Please help.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

lighter desktop is better, also get rid of backgroud pictures etc.

I have this problem nd about every 12 months i reinstall windows. Copy everything accross to a big hard disk you have and wipe the primary's and reinsatll. Cheaper than upgrading lol. Or buy a new hd and reinstall on that. Not dear these days. XP clutters it self up with all the sh!te that gets added over the months. Uninstallin gprogramms will help. ALso check what app you start, ie office quick launch, bluetooth things, firewalls etc and stop then auto loading, only use them when required.

btw whats the basic specs of the machine, ie hd size, ram and processor

Sound like processes loading on bootup, and maybe also spyware hooking itself to IE etc.

You may want to also run spybot and ad-aware on your machine to put your mind at ease, also check out the run & Runonce Registry Keys for stuff that loads up on bootup.

Located at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce

These registry locations contain your startup apps and also this is where you will see most spyware and virus's start up, other clever ones wrap themselve into the kernel or the Application that its attacking such as IE.

Also try having a look at HIJACKTHIS tool which is good at looking at the important places that may be comprimised.

Be warned, deleting wrong stuff could trash your pc.

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

This has been happening now for a while, it takes about 10 mins or more before i can use the computer properly.

Every thing loads up desktop on show ect... but takes ages to open anything in the first 10 mins or so.

During this time the hard drive is wizzing round and the red light flashing or nearly constantly on.

I thought it was AVG but according to that it isnt.

What about sygate firewall is that a bit lively on start up?

Also what about having a lot of files stored on the desk top?

Please help.

The first thing to check is how much memory you have vs how much you're using.

Use Task Manager, or (better) download Sysinternals Process Explorer from Microsoft and run that automatically at startup.

Other culprits I've seen recently include Windows Update (for 5 to 10 mins sometimes) and the dreaded Norton (once it goes wrong it can be really bad).

My money is on inadequate memory. Lots of XP systems started life with adequate (256MB say) but Windows grows with updates and you add stuff too - bet the System Tray is busy too - how many items (mine has 11 despite serious pruning)?

Just saw 256MB in your spec - add some more! Make it 512MB minimum.

www.crucial.com/uk has a good system scanner to tell you what you have and what upgrades you can buy.

Guest Alarm Guard

I have always had the same attitude to computers as I have to alarms. They need servicing to work properly.

Do what James says... clear your machine down and start again, and do that once a year. You will be amazed at the difference,

but make sure you save EVERYTHING...The things people usually forget to save are things like E-mail contacts, E-mail in-box and sent-box and passwords.

I have always had the same attitude to computers as I have to alarms. They need servicing to work properly.

Do what James says... clear your machine down and start again, and do that once a year. You will be amazed at the difference,

but make sure you save EVERYTHING...The things people usually forget to save are things like E-mail contacts, E-mail in-box and sent-box and passwords.

I totally agree, but he will need more memory anyway and it's a quick fix that will almost certainly make a HUGE difference.

Given the age/spec etc. buying a new PC is probably the best solution. :rolleyes:

Sound like processes loading on bootup, and maybe also spyware hooking itself to IE etc.

You may want to also run spybot and ad-aware on your machine to put your mind at ease, also check out the run & Runonce Registry Keys for stuff that loads up on bootup.

Located at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce

These registry locations contain your startup apps and also this is where you will see most spyware and virus's start up, other clever ones wrap themselve into the kernel or the Application that its attacking such as IE.

Also try having a look at HIJACKTHIS tool which is good at looking at the important places that may be comprimised.

Be warned, deleting wrong stuff could trash your pc.

Ive got hijack and spybot, i dont think its spyway but im no pro.

What am i supposed to do with the run/runonce things.

The first thing to check is how much memory you have vs how much you're using.

Use Task Manager, or (better) download Sysinternals Process Explorer from Microsoft and run that automatically at startup.

Other culprits I've seen recently include Windows Update (for 5 to 10 mins sometimes) and the dreaded Norton (once it goes wrong it can be really bad).

My money is on inadequate memory. Lots of XP systems started life with adequate (256MB say) but Windows grows with updates and you add stuff too - bet the System Tray is busy too - how many items (mine has 11 despite serious pruning)?

Just saw 256MB in your spec - add some more! Make it 512MB minimum.

www.crucial.com/uk has a good system scanner to tell you what you have and what upgrades you can buy.

Got rid of norton.

could be update.

If me bottom right hand corner there are 8 in there.

From bits and peices that i have read, i did think memory. Cant things stay on the hard drive till needed?

Ill sort some memory

That scares me, id have do to that with me sons nappy on.

Ive got an 80G hard drive in the cupboard, could i fit that , send every thing to that, polish me old one and send the data back?

Is this easy ish to. Im not a complete novice with computers if its straight forward ish then ill be fine.

Just had a thought after installing 2nd hard drive is it juust a case of sending each folder to it.

Can programs be sent?

Archived