Security Installer Community

Ade Accenta Mini 8 Battery Back Up

musketter

I have a Accenta mini 8 installed, and it is working perfectly apart from the battery back up.

I have replaced the battery, checked all the fuses, and all the wire connections with a meter.

I have asked a local Alarm company (well the Quote was alarming) to come and look at it and I was informed that it's a, and I quote "very common fault, and the whole system needs to be replaced". He wouldnt even come out and look at it unless I agreed to him fitting a new system.

So now I am trying the real experts.

Basicly I have three quick questions,

1, Does anyone have a clue about what it could be, bearing in mind it works perfectly apart from the battery problem.

2, Is he correct in saying its a common fault and the panel has to be changed.

3, what should the cost of a call out be (roughly), just to tell if it is a fault on the panel or its bleeped its last.

Thanks, Keith

I have replaced the battery, checked all the fuses, and all the wire connections with a meter.

1, Does anyone have a clue about what it could be, bearing in mind it works perfectly apart from the battery problem.

2, Is he correct in saying its a common fault and the panel has to be changed.

3, what should the cost of a call out be (roughly), just to tell if it is a fault on the panel or its bleeped its last.

Thanks, Keith

So you've checked the battery and replaced it with a new one, you've checked the battery fuse and battery connections with no fault found. It sounds very much like you need a new panel, possibly because it's been damaged by running on a dead battery previously.

It is unlikely that this would require a complete system replacement, (unless perhaps it is as a result of a lightning strike when all components may have been damaged in such a way as to shorten the expected life of the parts), but I say that not having seen the state of the installation. It could be that the previous installer views the installation to be so poor for some reason that he would not accept responsibility for it without bringing it up to scratch - I have been in that situation before as will have many others.

Hi, and thanks for the quick response.

I removed the fuses and checked them with a circuit tester. All were fine.

When you remove the AC power to the panel it totally dies, and the Bell box sounds outside. I replaced the battery about 3-4 months ago (old one was 3 years old) and I have only just turned off the power for the first time since and found the fault.

I have checked the board for any sign of shorting etc and it appears clean. The battery is charging and the leads are connected correctly and carrying the current ok.

I accept it is most likely that the panel will need replacing, but the company I called wanted to replace the entire system. Panel, PIR's, contacts, etc. All without even looking at what is already there. Hence why I wanted another opinion as there are 4 PIR's and 2 smoke detectors all working fine, and the price was on the high side in my opinion.

What would you recomend to replace the panel, bearing in mind I would like to keep both the current RKP's ? (whole family have finally worked out how to use them).

Once again thanks for taking the time to reply

Keith

If the Accenta Mini 8 is still available then stick with what you and the family know - as I don't use ADE equipment I cannot confirm if it is still available but I would expect it to be - if it isn't there will be another ADE (now owned by Honeywell) panel that will probably do the job in much the same way.

One of our advertisers http://www.gx-security.com/

You have checked the new battery is okay I take it, not just assumed that it must be?

Guest Peter James

It is a common fault the battery should be replaced every 4 years, systems not under a service contract often dont get a battery change when its due. The result is the battery knackers the charging circuit then the panel is unable to charge the new battery.

Replacement panel is the only cure, and a preventative maintenance contract is whats needed to prevnt it happening again.

Peter

Hi Gents, once again thank you for the prompt replies.

The battery was changed after only 3 years use so I dont belive that it was the problem, just the panel.

The system was serviced up to 15 months ago by my now Ex Brother in law (//.National Installer.// Installer), when he moved away.

Anyway I have decided not to play around with it and get a new panel, this leaves me in a bit of a dilema.

I will be selling the house with in the next 6-8 months so I do not want to spend too much on it (

• 3 weeks later...

Archived