Security Installer Community

A1 Alarm - Please Help

Guest monkey

We live in a rented property fitted with an A1 alarm - we do not know if it works. We were told the code by the agency, but they seemed doubtful that it would work. I know nothing about alarms and don't want to cause chaos by trying to arm it, and have it going off. There are (PIR?) sensors in each room.

There is a phone number on the box, but it is out of date - un recognised.

1. Who makes A1 alarms? Should I try to contact them?

2. Should i just try the code and see what happens?

Please be kind - we were burgled on Friday and have a lame landlord who is unwilling to spend any money on our security - if i can get this alarm working it would help my peace of mind.

Thanks

Hi Monkey,

Sorry to hear you were burgled.

Your only option is to really get a company out to see if they can service and reprogram the system you have.

You will find a list of installers under security installers on the main home page of this site. You can wait as a member here may be close to you and may PM you or you could try and find a company in your local directory or online.

TBH, if I got a call to repair an A1 alarm I'd only come out to rip it off the wall and fit a proper system. I think you'll find most professional installers will take the same view.

We live in a rented property fitted with an A1 alarm - we do not know if it works. We were told the code by the agency, but they seemed doubtful that it would work. I know nothing about alarms and don't want to cause chaos by trying to arm it, and have it going off. There are (PIR?) sensors in each room.

There is a phone number on the box, but it is out of date - un recognised.

1. Who makes A1 alarms? Should I try to contact them?

2. Should i just try the code and see what happens?

Please be kind - we were burgled on Friday and have a lame landlord who is unwilling to spend any money on our security - if i can get this alarm working it would help my peace of mind.

Thanks

If it says A1 in white rectangles against a red background on the bell box then I think I'm right in saying that the company was based in Merseyside in the eighties and early nineties, sold DiY stuff, and went broke a long time ago. I'm sorry to say I cannot remember the principal's name; Tim something or other - came from Modern Alarms or one of their sister companies originally. Of course there might be another company that trades/traded under that name.

As Rich says, though, a local company should be able to help - there was nothing oddball about the stuff, if I recall. Good Luck

Guest Alarm Guard

They were in Liverpool. Folded and re-started a few times ... in the end taken over and then closed down by ADE.

Poor quality equipment with even poorer longevity.

...... No good news I am afraid.

They were in Liverpool. Folded and re-started a few times ... in the end taken over and then closed down by ADE.

Poor quality equipment with even poorer longevity.

...... No good news I am afraid.

The man's initial were T M-W (I shal not name him overtly) and he's on the Companies House disqualified director list until 2013! Weren't they a subsidiary of a toy manufacturer? Mickey Mouse Alarms, maybe? :whistle::rolleyes:

Thanks

hoi monkey,

as you are renting (you mention landlord), the system belongs to the landlord so i wiould not rip it out withyout consent, but as such were you not atracted to the dwelling by the plus point of a security system? it should form part of your rental agreement, just like the boiler, so try to put a bit of pressure on the landlord to fix it or reduce your rent perhpas agree to have it fixed and dock the money from the rent but get it agreed in writing.

like others have expressed i am sorry your were 'visited' and hope your lose was not too great, again like others this panel is not the best known for reliability or longevity, but there are thousands of these still out there and many still working.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived