Security Installer Community

Optima XL4

Guest Tony015

Guest oldtimer

OK guys break it up.

First of all after being in the alarm industry for 23 years me thimks I can tell a burglar from an honest joe who only wants to get his alarm working.

The average burglar is as thick as the proverbal plank.

I am a bit concerned that this forum is becoming a bit elite. The who;e point of this forum was to help people with security systems to look after them.

Yes I agree with the previous comments and would point out that your average burglar is no James Bond. ie their is no magic code black box or procedure that is going to defeat a security system that has been properly installed. I have always said that fitting a alarm system does not stop break ins it only moves it to the house next door that does not have a system fitted.

My main comcern on this forum is that I am noticing a trend within the instalers

of a a "knowledge is power" mentality. I suspect that this is coming from guys who have been in the industry for 3-4 years and to put it quite simply are taking a pompus approuch amd a higher than thou mentality.

As you can see from my username (oldtimer) I have been there and seen it. So am I being big headed ? Absolutly not. I have used the same colour code for 23 years. Every single customer has been given the user & engineers manual and the engineers code for their system along with commissioning / service sheets.

By these comments I am not having a pop at any one person and I hope that my comments are taken in a constructive manner. I will leave you with this little story.

A few years ago I got talking to a fellow spark who fancied himself as a top security know it all installer. He did not relise that I had been in the game for 15 years stated that he knew all about alarm systems and told me not to ask him for any details cos knowledge is power and I never got where I am being a nice guy.

He then spouted on about how good he was and what went on in the burglars mind. I told him that it was this very pretentious mentality that was giving people in the industry a bad name and also the more insecure you are the more the customer senses it.

So what did he do when he relised that I had a "bit of knowledge" He asked me how do you wire up a SAB module because he just could not figure it out.

Remember this forum helps the new blood comming into the industry and joe public better understand the workings and the service requirements of security systems.

Oldtimer you must understand my reasons

Yes this site was primarily created to help the USER, and I have no objections to anyone doing that. But certain information should NOT be published here.

Understand that I have already received several threats of legal action from several of the larger manufacturers for providing information/manuals that they do not agree to mr Joe Public being privy too and have had to remove a lot of information that was once freely available on this site. I am to a certain degree responsible for whatever goes on here, so myself and moderators try to keep this site out of trouble and on the right side of the law.

Also understand that I am in no position to fight any claim against me, this site is my hobby, funded by myself and freely available to everyone. Nothing will annoy me more than being told to shut down my site and forum because of any information it contained that shouldnt have been there.

All i ask of anyone giving advice is that they think about there replies. And what could happen should someone who the post wasnt intended for acted on the information provided and seriousely injured himself or set the house on fire etc etc.

Reply to an individual by email or PM if you want to, I have no control over that.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

OldTimer,

The reason we cant give this information out is nothing to do with the knowledge is power argument. But it is to do with the fact that we are at risk of being closed down if we disclose this information. Certain manufacturers have threatened to shut us down if we give any "sensitive" information out about there systems, this includes defaulting information and engineer manuals, hence the reason we have had to take this stance. I would prefer it if we could give as much information to people as they required but unfortunately if we want a forum we have to work with manufacturers and within the set out guidelines of the forum.

Dale

Guest oldtimer

fair doos guys

The sad thing is that for years there has not any standards with regards to

training engineers and with recent postings I figure most of the independant installers are ex alarm company installers the ones who are excuse the pun are trying to break into the industry are desperate for info so that they can excell in their field.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone but I now understand the reason for editing my post.

Hi,

First off I agree with what OldTimer said.

Secondly, which supports what he said; the standard answer seems to be "get a local engineer" or words to that effect - no matter what the question! Useless if you ask me.

Personally I have learnt how to default a Galaxy panel through this forum. If it was a sophisticated alarm that Tony015 was trying to default I could maybe understand the reluctancy but a damned Optima is the pits and the best advice to give would have been "upgrade it to something better."

I am fed up of re-programming panels that these "thick as the proverbal plank" burglars have defaulted the night before.

My point is it's not really a security issue - he wanted help and he should have got it. Defaulting is not something that burglars would do, they'd do something like knock the sounder off the wall.

The trouble with this industry is that a lot of people fit a load of utter instead of sticking to a reasonable price and installing quality equipment. There's far too many alarms dependant on the smallest of batteries, sounders without battery backup and six quid passives.

Rant Over.

Archived