Security Installer Community

Sky digital and Redcare

We have a site that keeps going no-response frequently, for short periods of time - usually 30 seconds to a minute. This only happens when the premises are occupied which leads me to believe it is something to do with them, rather than the system.

They do/did have Sky digital connected to the same line as redcare and I asked them to disconnect it to try and rule it out though I was rather fishing about in the dark looking for a reason. Is there a known issue with Sky digital and redcare being connected simultaneously?

Andy

Manufacturer

Andy

The skydigital box uses data sent down the phone line for certain interactive functions. This is the same as having other data sources such as faxes or modems on the redcare line.

I recommend that you fit a Modem Compatibility Device (MCD) to the RedCare line, they are available at most security distributors and cost about £50-60.

This unit should stop any interferance the set top box is causing.

Andy

Hi,

Well I considered this option but on the data sheet for the MCD it says,

'The MCD enables customers to use a standard analogue BT line for RedCARE signalling and data equipment, without having to worry about the signalling service interfering with their data transmissions'

Now to me, that sounds as though it only prevents your fax/modem being interfered with by RedCARE not the other way round...?

Andy.

Manufacturer

From MCD user guide:

"When connected through the MCD, the device will be disconnected from the line if an alarm is reported by your alarm system. Reconnection is prevented for five minutes to allow the alarm to be correctly processed."

Which I think basically means that if the redcare needs the line it disconnects whatever is the other side of the MCD.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

If you pay for Redcare on your alarm system .......you take the security of your property seriously or your insurance say you have to have it :angry:

The way I look at it, the Redcare Line is for your alarm and alarm only, the more you put on the line the more risk of it going into line fault (:ph34r:)

Causing problems not only for you but ....the comms centre, your keyholders, BT and not forgetting your freindly alarm engineer who has to attend because BT say the line is testing clear and it must be a fault on the alarm system :unsure:

Use it for the alarm only and stick another telephone line in for general everyday use................ internet, sky. faxes, daughters (quick!) 3 hour chat with her freinds from school who she has been with all day ect. ect :blink:

over the past few months i've found that the ASDL lines (broadband) interacts with redcare and digi mostly digi with not hearing the kiss offs but hearing the handshakes i think if you modify (butcher) a ASDL filter and fit it to the redcare you'll find problem resolved :huh:

Quote of the day: A good friend will bail you out of jail but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying damn we fcuked up!!!

management treat us like mushrooms!! keep us in the dark and feed us bullsiht!!!

Kgilly

The 'butchered' ADSL filter may well work (not sure on a digi box) but the correct way is to fit a MCD. It is bad practice to 'butcher' a piece of equipment meant for one purpose in order to save a few pounds. As Jimbob posted earlier, this is someones security we are talking about here, lets get it right first time!

Although Jimbob, I do agree with the idea of only put the security device on the line, but as long as the chip is programmed correctly, the line is functioning correctly and the REN isnt exceeded, all should be ok.

Andy

Archived