Security Installer Community

What Cable For Network

Hi guys

I am installing an IP network to link three multiplexers together. As the units will be sharing camera pictures I want to fully utilise the gigabit network cards employed in these units.

Can you run data at gigabit over cat5e or do you need cat6?

cheers

Dave

cat5e will do gigabit, cat6 is a bit different so i only use cat5e, i doubt you will max out a 100 meg link though

Are you sure? There will be 48 cameras running over it backwards and forwards. We will also have 4 audio streams.

cheers

Dave

if your doing that then i recommend a proper managed switch to get as much out of your bandwidth. Also i dont know of any gigabit ported ip cams

Not using IP cams.

Using three Pelco multiplexers, 16 cameras on each. You can network them all together and share camera images from remote DVR's in a tree configuration. The cameras are composite, it's the DVR's that have a Gigabit ports.

cheers

Dave

oh i see its one of the dx's then

i dont know but i would have thought it only pulled images as it needs them not all the time.

I still doubt you would max out a 100 meg (thats about 10megabytes per second) and i bet your high spec pc wouldnt have an easy time shifting this amount of data

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

oh i see its one of the dx's then

i dont know but i would have thought it only pulled images as it needs them not all the time.

I still doubt you would max out a 100 meg (thats about 10megabytes per second) and i bet your high spec pc wouldnt have an easy time shifting this amount of data

Yeah DX8116 new version of DX8016. Very clever pieces of kit, but expensive :fear:

It has got a bandwith throttle! :lol:

Dave

i have looked at em, did you get the whole 'designed by a guy from dell' spiel lol

looks superb and it runs linux not ms anymore so should be stable..

I still say cat 5e but thats probably because i have never fitted cat6 .

Invest good money on your switch if you have a cheapy switch it will perform worse than a good 100meg network mate

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived