Security Installer Community

Night Vision Advise

Guest mccltd

- as jameswilson rightly points out, cams like the Samsung SDC 415 will not work with IR

Low light performance is exceptional but it will need some visible light. Well placed exterior lights plus normal street lighting work fine for me with this cam.

One other thing

Guest Director of COP Security
Director of Cop you say you only supply to the trade, I own Medway Computer Components Ltd and sell Geovision and cameras from one company but they dont seem to know much about night vision.

Would you be able to supply to me?

We do supply alot of local cctv companies with computers etc for their systems.

Anyway with regards the camera required.

I would say the throw would be about 20 metres, and there is one street light but way down the road.

I have two normal cameras out there but just show black at night.

Wide angle would also be good.

There is a PTZ that you can control out the front and if you turn it to show the houses opposite that is where I'm trying to view.

This is a tricky one as you are looking directly at your neighbour house and that

Guest Director of COP Security
Apologies for being off topic, but what are your reasons for only selling to the trade?

We are importers, manufactures and distributors of CCTV equipment and we made a decision when we established the business that we would be a trade only supplier, at the time there where only a few small trade only suppliers and some big trade only names. Everybody else would supply to the general public.

We have stuck with this policy and it has served us well, we know have a loyal and growing customer base of people who come back to us time and time again, which is just what we wanted.

There are several reasons for this decision, but the main one is so that we can provide extensive support to a smaller customer base instead of an "ok" level of support to a large customer base.

Also we felt that it was important to give our trade customers the comfort that there customers (the public) could not come to us and get equipment at almost the same price as they can get.

Our customers (the trade) offer a value added service, not just in the fitting and setup of systems but in the level of experience and expertise they bring to the table when specifying what you need.

Sorry if that seems a "windy" answer :)

Regards

Chris

Just about to trial the COP 15-CA35EDC High Res Day Night Camera on my house. Using a Japanese Day/Night lens as well.

Quite handy as the streetlight is faulty, it keeps coming on and off so will see the camera in both lights (so to speak :) )

cheers

Dave

Well I am very very impressed.

I have attched two pics taken a few mins ago (yes I haven't changed the DVR clock yet :lol:).

Cam 1 is a digital colour and Cam 3 is the new COP Colour / Mono.

cheers

Dave

post-9367-1162661158_thumb.jpg

post-9367-1162661170_thumb.jpg

We are importers, manufactures and distributors of CCTV equipment and we made a decision when we established the business that we would be a trade only supplier, at the time there where only a few small trade only suppliers and some big trade only names. Everybody else would supply to the general public.

We have stuck with this policy and it has served us well, we know have a loyal and growing customer base of people who come back to us time and time again, which is just what we wanted.

There are several reasons for this decision, but the main one is so that we can provide extensive support to a smaller customer base instead of an "ok" level of support to a large customer base.

Also we felt that it was important to give our trade customers the comfort that there customers (the public) could not come to us and get equipment at almost the same price as they can get.

Our customers (the trade) offer a value added service, not just in the fitting and setup of systems but in the level of experience and expertise they bring to the table when specifying what you need.

Sorry if that seems a "windy" answer :)

Regards

Chris

You could still sell to the public at a retail price and give discount to trade

Cutwitt

Things have been that way for the last 18 years at least, so I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Bit like a cash and carry restricts its sale to trade or people wouldn't bother going to their local food shop, they would just go to the cash and carry.

Another reason distributors are trade only is the equipment gets installed properly, some DIY'ers will have a go at stuff they know nothing about and mess it up. They then expect a full refund for their error.

You are wrong about regulation and certification. Just choose a SSAIB or NSI company that are approved to install CCTV. Easy.

cheers

Dave

Cash and carry is cheap because you buy bulk.

IP cameras are going to change everything, Joe public will just buy and plug in - it will all go 'consumer'. Most IP cams are already available to the public

IP cameras are going to change everything, Joe public will just buy and plug in - it will all go 'consumer'. Most IP cams are already available to the public

Go and buy a IPcam then? They wont as of yet have a vast range of choice that can cater for any situation.

I dont think its wise to come on here and ask for advise then start to cuss when you dont like the response of someone whos answer is a viable one ?

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

Cutwitt

You don't have to buy bulk in a cash and carry. I poped into Costco on my way home and bought a piece of steak and a bottle of wine. That's hardly bulk is it?

IP cameras have been available for years. They were supposed to be in the in thing. When they first come out, us installers were looking forward to easier cabling. The client wants a new camera in that office and the client installs the cable what bliss. CRASH back to relality, most proffesional IT Managers in my experience don't like CCTV on their corporate network. Whenever I have done IP cameras the client has insisted on a dedicated network.

Having the multiplexer on the network is popular with client access from IE.

So no IP cameras are not going to replace conventional cameras. I reckon twisted pair is going to become even more popular.

Whatever transmission system you choose, you still need a proffesional camera on the end of it. The selection of the camera, lens, housing, lighting... etc is a job for a pro.

cheers

Dave

Archived