Security Installer Community

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Deadlock For Upv Doors?

Guest ysabelle

Guest ysabelle

We had a break-in recently. The thieves just prised off the lock on the outer-part of our conservatory doors and casually wandered in. No we didnt have the alarm set - DOH. Police believe that the device they used was a Euro-Lock??? Anyways, can anyone recommend a good dead-bolt type system for UPVC french doors to stop this happening again?

cheers

You wont get a good deadlock for UPVC doors, they come with certain locks built in, some multipoint some not.

They (i assume you mean a pair) interlock but only have small bolts top and bottom. To retrofit is nigh on impossible unless you use surface mounted bolts both chubb and era make them as well as others.

Same for single leaf UPVC really unless they use hook bolts.

This is a public area so the only thing i can suggest to stop UPVC being broken into is to ensure the "euro cylinder" is made to be flush with the door surface and not the trim plates.

That you do not leave out garden tools, in fact secure all garden tools in a "tool chest" or similar, and any ladders are chained and padlocked to a low walled area.

Keep all shrubs cut low, this will reduce privicy but deter someone trying to sneak around your property.

I could go on, the trick is to think "If i lost my keys how would i break into my own property?"

Go try it, bet you get a nasty suprise.

cheers

Guest ysabelle

Thanks for your responses. The thieves broke in to steal our cars. They ignored cash, credit cards, LCD TV's etc and only wanted the vehicles. For some strange reason they took off the car key and left the house keys by the side entry?????? VERY strange!! Needless to say that our security has been beefed-up but as usual when the horse has already bolted we want to go over-board! The guy at the locksmiths told me about some plate that you can screw to the actual door which prevents the doors from being pulled once the lock has been prised off. Sounded crude but effective.

Guest ysabelle
In my experience, if you have doors between the conservatory and the house, if you keep those doors closed when you are out.... an intruder will be reluctant to break in through the conservatory in the belief that he may then have to break through the other doors into the house.

This doesn't always work, but is worth consideration.

but now that you have suffered a successful break-in, it is vital to upgrade your security because it is likely that he will come back.

Paul

Thanks Paul. The lock on the inner conservatory doors was exactly the same as the outer doors so I am assuming that the lock would have been removed with the ease that the first one was. Because we had no PIR in the conservatory they would have had loads of time to do this all in the comfort of a sheltered environment. This has now changed of course.

Thanks for your responses. The thieves broke in to steal our cars. They ignored cash, credit cards, LCD TV's etc and only wanted the vehicles. For some strange reason they took off the car key and left the house keys by the side entry?????? VERY strange!! Needless to say that our security has been beefed-up but as usual when the horse has already bolted we want to go over-board! The guy at the locksmiths told me about some plate that you can screw to the actual door which prevents the doors from being pulled once the lock has been prised off. Sounded crude but effective.

Sounds more like Bull ####. Mabye an anti jemmy plate, but in practise they help the tool being used.

Maybe they did try the keys, had you left another set in the door inside? Thats a good possibility they left them, i would reccomend a complete lock change. Contact your loacl BLI locksmiths for sound and free advise. local BLI locksmith search page

For some strange reason they took off the car key and left the house keys by the side entry?????? VERY strange!!

If the car key is found with the house keys (car recovered from a premises or stopped with someone driving ect...) it links the vechile to the house break in, if the key are not taken at all (house) if stopped driving the car the even a matter of hours after its pinched you can always claim you paid a man in the pub for it...... as nobody would "sell" a car with the front door key still on the the fob ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived