Security Installer Community

Adsl Wireless Router

hiro

you've probably had this before but i've just changed to an adsl wireless router.its connected to my desk top via lan and laptop via wireless (both xp) I can access internet from laptop no bother but desktop just not having it

Any comments or points i make are my own views and not that of my employer or company

you've probably had this before but i've just changed to an adsl wireless router.its connected to my desk top via lan and laptop via wireless (both xp) I can access internet from laptop no bother but desktop just not having it

Check your fire wall settings.

Your router prob works on 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1. You need to program a range of IP addresses into your firewall for home network.

Dave

Check your fire wall settings.

Your router prob works on 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1. You need to program a range of IP addresses into your firewall for home network.

Dave

Before you fitted the wireless router, was your desktop PC connect to the broadband router via USB?, only ask as the IP settings for the network card in your PC might not be set to automatic so it won't be given an IP address by the router

Before you fitted the wireless router, was your desktop PC connect to the broadband router via USB?, only ask as the IP settings for the network card in your PC might not be set to automatic so it won't be given an IP address by the router

Easy way to try, find out what IP address the router home page should be set to.

Load 'command prompt' from All programs-accesories.

Type ping 192.168.2.1 (or whatever your router ip address is) and press enter.

You should see loads of replies from router. If not change firewall settings and try again.

cheers

Dave

Check the status of your LAN connection, then click on the Support tab.

Click on Details then cut and paste the results here.

Should look something like:

Physical Address: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX

IP Address: 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained: 17/10/2006 18:57:29

Lease Expires: 20/10/2006 18:57:29

DNS Servers: 212.74.112.66, 212.74.112.67

WINS Server:

Check the status of your LAN connection, then click on the Support tab.

Click on Details then cut and paste the results here.

Should look something like:

Physical Address: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX

IP Address: 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained: 17/10/2006 18:57:29

Lease Expires: 20/10/2006 18:57:29

DNS Servers: 212.74.112.66, 212.74.112.67

WINS Server:

cheers for that I now have my desk top connected but my laptop is having non of it

Any comments or points i make are my own views and not that of my employer or company

go on then old hand what you gonna do, the only thing you might be able to attack is his dns servers!! All that is local netowrk ip's nothing external!!

managed to get desktop and laptop on internet now need to sort out file sharing etc any clues?

you need to setup a workgroup on both machines then share files etc, I assume they are bot xp home? Or get yourself a nice linux server and run a domain so much easier, but peer to peer is easy, there are wizards in xp under networking

with the laptop being a wireless connection and desktop being hard wired do you setup a wireless on one and home network on other or both the same or am i barking up wrong tree?

:cry:

Archived