Security Installer Community

Ptz And Home

Right I know this has been mentioned before, and have read a past topic on this, but ive just put one up and i reckon its drawing some attention from the neighbours. One already asked me "are you going to use it to look into peoples gardens"...

Oh yeh just putting 1500 quids worth of PTZ, GJDs to watch your 65 year ol wife....

ANyway neigbours next to us (drive shared) are fine with it, as i used to have a static on the rear corner just watching the drive, and replace it with this Dome on the back corner, the driveway cannot be seen from any window, but they are ok with it being there, the people who have shown an "interest" there properties that the camera can see, can be seen from the rear windows, the only place i cant see that the cam can is the driveway next to the gable end, but those neighbours are fine with it, as it watches there van and door.

Where do i stand on this ?

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

domestics are excempt from the dpa but i would advise caution. Mainly if the neighbours have kids and getting the name 'peado in the corner'

Use the privacy zones of the cam and show these to your neighbours or give them printouts, or limit the dome. I have statics on my house but i think people may have an issue if i put a ptz up there!!

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

domestics are excempt from the dpa but i would advise caution. Mainly if the neighbours have kids and getting the name 'peado in the corner'

Use the privacy zones of the cam and show these to your neighbours or give them printouts, or limit the dome. I have statics on my house but i think people may have an issue if i put a ptz up there!!

Would i need planning permission to put up a PTZ? I got told the Exemption is Different for PTZs, but the rule if what the camera is looking at someones garden that you can also see from a window then its exempt...

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

As it stands, all cameras used for domestic purposes are exempt from the DPA.

Planning consent would only be required for a single camera if it breached "Permitted Development" legislation, which in this case means it has to be at least 2.5 metres from the ground.

Be aware though, that if any neighbour were mindful to report a CCTV camera to the police, they would be able to investigate whether the unit constituted a deliberate harassment under existing legislation.

That said, it is extremely rare for any constabulary to show willing where neighbour complaints are involved, and to date, I'm only aware of two cases where the police ordered the removal of a domestic CCTV camera, in situations where there were very definite cases of harassment being carried out.

Archived