Security Installer Community

Network Recording Device For Ip Cameras

Guest paddy

Hi

Are there any 4 Channel Recorders on the market that can be connected directly to IP cameras using RJ45 connectiors.

Thanks in advance

Paddy

Air-Net Broadband

"Remote CCTV access made easy"

It depnds what you want it to do, I haven't come across a DVR with 4 IP inputs myself, as I think you will find a PC or a server would be used with camera recording software.

There certainly are companies that make purpose built DVR's for IP but it will alway be a pc with their software on it.

What exactly are you trying to achieve that you couldn't do with 4 network cards/ a network hub, a PC and some software?

Thanks Rich

Pc makes sense, just wondered if there were dedicated units out there.

Could you recomend some recording/managment software that I should look at

Thanks

What cameras are you going to be using?

There is alot of software available, many are specific to manufacturers for example axis.

You will probably find that the cameras you use the vendor will have some software possibly free, or there will be a list of compatible software.

I think for basic use you would need an FTP server running on the host computer and a browser.

one of our members James Wilson has been working on some software I am sure it supports IP cameras, hopefully he will join this thread soon.

Hi

Are there any 4 Channel Recorders on the market that can be connected directly to IP cameras using RJ45 connectiors.

Thanks in advance

Paddy

Air-Net Broadband

"Remote CCTV access made easy"

i think i just saw one or few but don't remember on which booth they were.. :unsure:

will check out..

but what are you trying to achieve?? it is not necessarily the best solution. depends on many factors like how much is it going to expand and what do you want to do with it except pure recording (ie. number plate recognition, integration to cash register and so on..)

The customer has already CAT5e in the premises so I want to utilise this. Also my background is in IT so I understand IP.

I came across the X-Vision XSW software and it looks very powerfull, but I take your point on camera compatibility. Will contact them to see what camerasa it has been tested with.

I am going to try some IP camerasa I came accross from Grandtec that a colleague had got and I was very impressed with their capability considering the price http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/pa...jsp?sku=CS12156

Thanks

Paddy

The customer has already CAT5e in the premises so I want to utilise this. Also my background is in IT so I understand IP.

usually utilisation of existing structural cabling like CAT5/6 is not too easy. you will most propably need to use long patch cables and then there is a danger to exceed maximum length of the CAT5/6 link. naturally utilisation of "backbone" fibres or gigabit copper is sometimes cheaper than to run dedicated coax cables for analog cameras. remember thou that analog cameras are at least 25% cheaper than 'equivalent' IP ones.

Background in IT is only less than a half of necessary knowhow - allthou very necessary one - when it comes to video surveillance. since you are IT oriented you can thou calculate this - unlike many of our cctv installers who have no idea of IT and still install IP cameras - calculate this:

30KB per picture and 12 pictures per second per camera. how many cameras can you add to existing ethernet network without having a danger of ending up with collisions?

I came across the X-Vision XSW software and it looks very powerfull, but I take your point on camera compatibility. Will contact them to see what camerasa it has been tested with.

I am going to try some IP camerasa I came accross from Grandtec that a colleague had got and I was very impressed with their capability considering the price http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/pa...jsp?sku=CS12156

Thanks

Paddy

rather first define what are you going to surveillance, what do you want/need to see, lightning situations, etc.. and don't forget what capabilities you need from video management software and with what cameras it is compatible with...

of course IT departments have unlimited budget so you can decide what route you go..

You would be better off using baluns on the Cat5 cables and using conventional gear, keep it off the network, use a dvr that is networkable and it will only use bandwith when viewing and wont use any when just recording.

Plus generally speaking conventional cameras are cheaper than IP cameras.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Thanks

Paddy

Hi Paddy

Peter from Xvision here, right now the XSW software only supports Vivotek IP Cameras. Support for Sony and Axis IP Cameras will be available from the next release (due November) and this will be free to all existing users of the XSW range.

If you need any further information please PM me.

Best regards

Peter

Archived