Security Installer Community

Cctv Cable Over 150 Meters

rob walton

personally i would run two cat 5e 4 pairs.

1 pair for video another for telementry leaving spare pairs incase of problems ron a seperate armoured cable for power and put a psu in at camera end have your floods on a seperate circuit to prevent interferance. using cat5e may help in the futr if they wish to upgrade to ptz domes.

may get laughed at but each to their own lol

Hi guys,

I've been told time and time again not to run power line together with RJ but I just found this out..

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/16CH-DVR-CCTV-Secur...1QQcmdZViewItem

Will it help? :hmm:

We have that cable manufactured for us but it's not suitable to carry mains voltage and should be not used to do so.

All the above replies offer good and accurate advise.

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

I used that cable about 5 years ago and i'm sure i got it off Systems Q

I hoped i would like it but personally i hated it and never used it again much.

My problem was it found it harder to make off the BNC's as easy and how bulky it was.

Cat5 for me over this any day and i believe Systems Q do good baluns too :yes:

Guest Director of COP Security
We used System Q coax in the past & couldn't get on with it either but this cable is liked by the engineers who say it also runs out nice.

I can only go by what the boys tell me

You can get "shot gun" cable (RG59 + 2 core) from quite a few people but its getting very expensive as the price of copper has gone mad, also it can be a swine to work with.

For this job I would recommend cat 5 (with baluns) for the video and data (if required) You can get 3 cameras and RS485 data down a single cat 5 if you use the correct balluns.

Power the cameras from the local 240v supply, use 24v A/C cameras and 240v to 24v A/C power supplies as this will use a transformer to go from 240v mains and help to filter any spikes that the lighting may cause.

Chris

The very reason we bought this shotgun was the good price.

The price of RG59 & other cables has gone thru the roof off our normal suppliers & we hada big job that was not suitable for Cat5. By buying a pallet load of cable the price was very good so that iswhy we took a chance, butwe are very happy with it.

I was not advocating using it for this application, merely replying to a post that thought it was for 240 Volts & video.

Archived