Security Installer Community

Additional Power Supply

steve

personally id recomend getting an engineer in to carry out the work for you.

if you are unsure about anything you are doing it is better to be safe than sorry.

no offence ment but, a little knowledge can be very dangerous. even if you are familliar with intruder alarm systems, it isnt worth taking the risk if you have any doubts.

thanks for your advice guys, trust me I know what I am doin was just a bit unsure about the psu as I had never fitted one before, //.National Installer.// fitted the system before my sister bought the house which was a bungalow, she is now getting it massively extended to turn it into a house, hence the building work.............

so will you now have enough zones available as the extensive building works may require additional detection, it's not good practice to have more than one device on a zone - cheap maybe but a begger to know which device caused the alarm or will not set.

still given that concideration is ok, will you able to program the system to best effect?

most anyone can screw a box to the wall, most anyone can screw a pir to the wall - but best position, max effect and of course programming is where it starts to come unstuck.

i fear you are getting in deeper than you may think, it's not your home or valuables, if your sister gets 'done' are you able or even willing to replace them if you ooops up somewhere - christmas wil never be the same - trust me.

its always nice to help especially family and freinds, but its far better sometimes to let someone else 'help', and this is one of them :yes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

//.National Installer.// fitted the system before my sister bought the house which was a bungalow, she is now getting it massively extended to turn it into a house, hence the building work.............

you doing the brickwork as well :whistle:

so will you now have enough zones available as the extensive building works may require additional detection, it's not good practice to have more than one device on a zone - cheap maybe but a begger to know which device caused the alarm or will not set.

still given that concideration is ok, will you able to program the system to best effect?

most anyone can screw a box to the wall, most anyone can screw a pir to the wall - but best position, max effect and of course programming is where it starts to come unstuck.

i fear you are getting in deeper than you may think, it's not your home or valuables, if your sister gets 'done' are you able or even willing to replace them if you ooops up somewhere - christmas wil never be the same - trust me.

its always nice to help especially family and freinds, but its far better sometimes to let someone else 'help', and this is one of them :yes:

regs

alan

Whilst I apprechiate everyones help on the forum, you have no idea of my experience or knowlegde of security systems. I asked for some basic advice on a PSU not for lots of derogatory remarks to my experience or knowledge of alarm systems. I thank you all for your advice and I will be fitting a PSU. As I said previously I have fitted quite a few alarm systems and have never had any major issues, I have managed with my basic knowledge to fit systems that have not only prevented a burgulary but also caught one in the act. Next time you cast dispursions on peoples ability's you should maybe take the time to find out a little bit more about their experience and or knowlegde. Next time I need advice I know where not to come.

regs

alan

Whilst I apprechiate everyones help on the forum, you have no idea of my experience or knowlegde of security systems. I asked for some basic advice on a PSU not for lots of derogatory remarks to my experience or knowledge of alarm systems. I thank you all for your advice and I will be fitting a PSU. As I said previously I have fitted quite a few alarm systems and have never had any major issues, I have managed with my basic knowledge to fit systems that have not only prevented a burgulary but also caught one in the act. Next time you cast dispursions on peoples ability's you should maybe take the time to find out a little bit more about their experience and or knowlegde. Next time I need advice I know where not to come.

Dont take this as a derogatory remark but dont forget to link you 0v from p.s.u to panel...i know engineers who have been in the industry for 4-5 uears that don't do it...great call out earner :realmad:

good luck

the building works you talk off = 10's of thousands

the alarm for the property a budget of a grand would be more than enough

the question you asked don't inspire confidence does it?

oh dear oh dear steve,

before you get on the that high horse concider the following-:

i was actually doing my best NOT to be derogatory or insulting to you, just to offer sound advice. you say in effective you feel you competant enough to install or improve this system, and you may well be so, yet when you asked how to fit a PSU and connect it - a most basic and simple device, and easily understood by most novices let alone an 'experienced' D.I.Y. instaler make me feel otherwise.

place yourself in my shoes - would you not be suspiciouse of a someone who says they are an experienced 'car mechanic' who then says he can service a car and has done, but then asks how to use the trolley jack before starting on his sisters car? it's that basic mate.

we have at least a partial duty of care when offering advice in here if just on a moral basis, so based on YOUR responses with all due respects as an experienced engineer i feel you are actually not competant enough. i may well be wrong and hope i am but, i'm also entiteled to my opinion and to base my best intended advice upon it - and my doubts.

now we have cleared that up, it's fine for you to instal your own system - thats your affair, but this is for another person - your sister, so i have even more of a moral responsibility to advise you carefully, measured on what i see as your obvious lack of experience.

if you want to take offence at my replies or feel insulted then i am sorry for you, as it was with no intent. the only way you can feel any anoyance i can see, is your not managing to convince me you are competant and your pride has been bruised.

i bet in your own field, where you have full expertise and you too would also excercise the same type of caution, you having the guile and experience to easily recognise the difference between a full player and an over keen amature at first blink.

trust me, if i wanted to insult you - you would be in no doubt of my intention, your skin would be peeling and that you can take to the bank.

regs

alan

Guest Cerberus NI

oh dear oh dear steve,

before you get on the that high horse concider the following-:

i was actually doing my best NOT to be derogatory or insulting to you, just to offer sound advice. you say in effective you feel you competant enough to install or improve this system, and you may well be so, yet when you asked how to fit a PSU and connect it - a most basic and simple device, and easily understood by most novices let alone an 'experienced' D.I.Y. instaler make me feel otherwise.

place yourself in my shoes - would you not be suspiciouse of a someone who says they are an experienced 'car mechanic' who then says he can service a car and has done, but then asks how to use the trolley jack before starting on his sisters car? it's that basic mate.

we have at least a partial duty of care when offering advice in here if just on a moral basis, so based on YOUR responses with all due respects as an experienced engineer i feel you are actually not competant enough. i may well be wrong and hope i am but, i'm also entiteled to my opinion and to base my best intended advice upon it - and my doubts.

now we have cleared that up, it's fine for you to instal your own system - thats your affair, but this is for another person - your sister, so i have even more of a moral responsibility to advise you carefully, measured on what i see as your obvious lack of experience.

if you want to take offence at my replies or feel insulted then i am sorry for you, as it was with no intent. the only way you can feel any anoyance i can see, is your not managing to convince me you are competant and your pride has been bruised.

i bet in your own field, where you have full expertise and you too would also excercise the same type of caution, you having the guile and experience to easily recognise the difference between a full player and an over keen amature at first blink.

trust me, if i wanted to insult you - you would be in no doubt of my intention, your skin would be peeling and that you can take to the bank.

regs

alan

Can we not get F7 to work on the forum??

soz cerberous NI you lost me there mate :hmm: '

all i get is a reference to a 'carate browsing cursor' :cold2:

please help the aged and exsplain :rolleyes:

ah got it - spell check - man if you new the problems i've got with my mouse, you'd be in tears of sympathy.

sorry for the typo's

regs

alan

Archived