Security Installer Community

Funny? Made me larf!!

Guest erniebilko

Guest erniebilko

I used to be s service engineer many many moons ago for Modern Alarms. I had a good mate called Alan and he was a really funny guy. He was a Londoner and he had the real gift of comedy.

Anyway, one morning he received a call from our central station asking him to call an elderly lady about resetting a false alarm. This was in the days before mobile phones etc. It was 07:00 and Alan called this client. He took her details and set off for the house.

Upon arrival he was b****cked stupid by the lady claiming "where have you been, I've been pressing the call button all night and you never arrived. In the end I had to use the telephone to contact you!"

Alan was confused ;) and she obviously picked up on this. "Do you think I am lying?" She proclaimed. "Look at the dent in my finger!" Sure enough this lady had a red mark and a deep depression on her finger.

It was an old style panel and the red light was in the shape of push button (If was non signaling you could press this button to reset the panel. Unfortunately the light also had a title next to it - "Call Engineer"

I think you've guessed the rest. This poor old lady had sat their since 01:15 punching the button and expecting the engineer to attend.

Alan got outside and almost wet himself with laughter :D:D

thats one to remember :lol::lol::lol:

i used to be modern alarms man myself(hull branch) in one of my past lifes. the best call out i had was to an false alarm at a premises in hull where the customer said that the alarm kept activating every night at same time but despite turning the key to day(it was an 80 series ) it wouldnt silence. by the time an engineeer got there it had stopped.

i went there at the approx time it started and checked it out. thought to myself this does,nt sound like an noise the alarm makes. walked around trying to track the source of the noise, checked smokes sensors etc still nothing and noise continued, finally traced noise to alarm clock that was buzzing. the customer was a bit embaraased :wub::wacko:

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

• 2 months later...
Guest scotty

Hey, Sarge.

I also worked for MA out of City Rd from 1986 and heard this story in the caff. Remember that mad woman in west London who used to lock engineers in and was convinced her phone was tapped by her husband?

I wonder what happened to that bloke who was always accident prone. Got nicknamed Suicide. He was run over by his own driverless car one day. Another time, he was up a ladder which was resting against a girder when a van knocked the ladder away and left him swinging.

Favourite greeting by customer when they opened the door: What's wrong with my alarm? My usual reply was 'I don't know. I need to see it first....

Happy days.

Just been on an emergency call today a printing factory where they claimed they could not silence the fire alarm after a power surge followed by a short power cut. I arrived on site to the sound of a siren staff all over the carpark and grumpy management. The fire alarm was reset and they had kindly had a go at removing the field wiring from the panel in an attempt to gain some silence. My first words were "well that doesn't actually sound like the fire alarm, I think we should go and have a look."

Seems they had a lone worker alarm which was also set off by the power surge the fire alarm had reset fine :D

The MD was grilling me as to why the fire alarm had activated, I'm like hey no idea but it set your lone worker alarm off also so was obviously something in the supply they did not like.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scotty

No wasn't him and I don't think I should name him. Nice bloke, though.

In the eighties, I was working in a tiny understair cupboard in a nice house in a posh part of Middlesex. My butt was poking out into the hall and, thinking that everyone was in the garden, I let rip the mother of all air biscuits. It sounded like tearing canvas and when I backed out and stood up the smell was like Satan's breath. I turned around to see the lady of the house standing patiently with a cup of tea and a plate of biscuits. I thanked her and silently wished I could be beamed up off the planet.

Archived